What is WhatsApp?
• WhatsApp Messenger is a proprietary, cross-platform instant
messaging application for smart phones.
• In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images,
video and audio media messages.
• The client software is available for iOS, BlackBerry
OS, Android, Symbian, Series 40, and Windows Phone.
• Competing with a number of Asia-based messaging services
WhatsApp handles two billion messages per day as of April 2012,
growing from one billion in October 2011.
• According to the Financial Times, WhatsApp "has done to SMS on
mobile phones what Skype did to international calling on landlines."
WHAT’S THIS APP!!
No International Charges
Founded in 2009 and is based in Santa Clara, California
Cross-platform mobile messaging app
Available for iPhone,BlackBerry,Windows,Android,Nokia
No Hidden Cost
Group Chat in Feb’2011
Say no to PINs and Usernames
No need to Login/Log Out
• Developer(s) : WhatsApp Inc.
• Stable release:
2.8.1504 (July 30, 2012)
2.8.1914 (August 12, 2012)
2.8.2 (July 13, 2012)
2.8.13 (August 16, 2012)
188.8.131.52 (September 10, 2012)
• Development status : Active
• O.S : Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Symbian, Series 40, and Windows Phone
• Type :
• Website :
• An invention by ‘two guys with an experience
of 20 years at Yahoo! Inc.’, American Brian
Acton & Ukrainian Jan Koum as per the official
website in 2009.
• A dream come true of talking to a friend
sitting oceans apart through radio-waves.
Features of WhatsApp
allowed you to send your location to your chat partner
or to your group chat.
It is useful if you want to share your approximate
location on a map.
personalize your group chat by attaching a custom icon
to your group
You can exit a group chat that you are in at any time
You can control group chat alerts and notifications
separately from individual messages.
• Hits 400 million active users-&
lashes out viciously at rivals.
• 430 million monthly active
users, over 35 million in India.
• Achieved a new record of 27
billion messages in a day.
• Obliterates its own record,
processes 54 billion messages
on New Year’s Eve.
• Not diversified
• Weak distribution
• To access the account
can only be paid by
credit card only
• Only works with a data
plan or wifi
• Product substitution
• Similar applications and
RESULTS FROM CASE STUDY
• Messaging used to cost rs. 5 earlier.
• Then way2sms came in with free sms.
• And then whatsapp came up with innovation like:
No login or logout.
• All most free.
• Supports almost all platforms like windows,
andriod, black berry, apple.
• Large number of emoticons.
• Automatic connection through contacts.