TO SUM UP …
Week 13 – Public Speaking & Presentation (Advanced)
• attendance & prep sheet check
• using your voice effectively
• your turn to sum up the chapter
• in class presentations
• What are some expressions to:
- signal the end of a presentation?
- Well, this brings me to the end of my
- Thank you all for listening
- OK, I think that’s everything I wanted
- As a final point, I’d like to…
- I’m now nearing the end of my talk …
• What are some expressions to
summarize the main points?
- I’ll just run through the three different options
- Before I stop let me go through my main points
- To sum up then, we…
- I’d like to run through my main points again…
- Just to summarize the main points of my talk…
• What are some expressions to recommend/suggest
- We’d suggest..
- We’d therefore recommend that we…
- In my opinion, we should…
- What I’d like to suggest is…
What are some expressions to invite questions?
- Now I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have
- We just have time for a few questions.
- Are there any questions?
• What are some techniques that can be used in a
- Call to action
Partner up to sum up!
• In pairs, do exercises 7,8,9 on page 46
Crossword Puzzle Answers
Using Your Voice Effectively
• Practice exercise 10 with a partner
Practice Using Your Voice
• Do exercise 11 on page 48 in pairs
Finally// let me come back to the key points of my talk.//I told
you that in the first quarter, // more than half or 52%, // of
our revenues// came from overseas.// This is in line with the
targets we set out// in 2004/when we decided we wanted to
continue to rely on overseas markets, //especially China, to
keep growing. In the past three months we’ve added more
new customers in China//than in any other country.
Now// what are our targets for the next few months?//The first
major step// will be the introduction of our Paypal payment
service in China.// And then// we will focus on finding
customers in existing markets, // such as the US and Germany,
// who haven’t tried buying from our website yet.
Exercise 12, pg. 48
1. Let me summarize the most important results.
2. I’d like to go through the main points again.
3. In my opinion, we have to change our sales
4. I’d like to recommend that we focus on the Asian
5. I’m now approaching the end of my presentation.
6. Now let’s put it all into practice!
In your group,
the end of this
chapter in a fun,