What are video games??
Early days of 1947 to 1950.
A video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction
with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device
• 25th January, 1947, Thomas T. Goldstein and Estle Ray Mann Cathode Ray Tube Amusement device.
• In 1949-1950, Charley Adama created Bouncy Ball.
• The 50’s saw a lot of independent inventors coming up with the
basic video games.
• A collection of interactive graphical
programs were created on the TX-0 machine
• Mouse in maze
• In 1961, MIT students including Steve Russell created
Space war! on PDP-1.
• It was considered as the first successful and influential
1969- Ken Thompson of AT&T wrote a video game called
Space Travel, for the Multics O.S
MULTICS to GECOS.
Development of UNIX.
1st Application on UNIX OS
Sega releases Periscope
1st arcade game
Electric shooting game
First generation(1970 to
• The first home console—Ralph Baer—Magnavox
• University Mainframe
Third Generation(1983 to
• Nintendo released 8 bit console The FamiCom
Offered in three tiered bundle:
Control Deck version
Super Mario Bros.
• The Action Set released in 1988
Fourth Generation(1989 to
• Nintendo’s next generation system Super
• A list of major consoles are:
• The formation of SNES to a joint venture with Sony
• Shareware distribution was the popular method of
• The games of that era were usually of the following
genre: Arcade, Horror, RTS, Adventure and Puzzle.
console(1993 to 2006)
• Comeback of Atari Atari Jaguar
• Release of three new consoles: Sega Saturn, Sony
PlayStation and PC-FX,
• The re-release of Resident Evil on the PlayStation By
• Nintendo’s release of Nintendo-64 in 1996Super
• Popular music video games-->PaRappa The
Rapper,Beatmania and Dance Dance revolution.
• Milestone games of the era: GoldenEye 007, The
Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time, Super Mario
Sixth Generation(1998 to
• Platforms included were: Sega Dreamcast, Sony
PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, and Microsoft
• Began with the release of Sega Dreamcast with
• Downfall of Dreamcast due to PlayStation 2.
• PlayStation 2, the complete home entertainment
• Microsoft Corporation entered the console
• Xbox used PC technology making games for PC
easily portable to the Xbox.
• Microsoft sold Xbox at a significant loss.
• November 2001: Bungie Studio’s Halo: Combat
• 2000 showed innovation in both consoles and PCs.
• The user-created modification for games continued
till the 21st century.
• The best and the most popular example of a mod
game could be that of Counter Strike.
• The generation opened early for handheld
Nintendo Nintendo DS
Sony PlayStation Portable(PSP)
Microsoft Xbox 360
Nintendo released Wii after PS3
Eighth Generation(2011 to
• Nintendo 3DS officially started this generation of
• The 3DS used Parallax Barrier Technology for 3D
• 3DS was further updated by Nintendo 3DS XL.
• In 2011, PS Vita was announced
• PS4 is set to be released in November 2013 in North