Redesign the Students
Stanford University – Design Thinking Action Lab
Problem Statement - Re-design the
student lockers at a large public high
Credits: SAP AG
• Interview students of different groups based on age,
gender, courses enrolled etc - on what they find lacking in
their current lockers.
• Interview management to find what they find lacking in
current student lockers.
• Observe students in how they use their current lockers.
• Observe passersby when a student is using a locker.
• Rent a locker and try using it yourself by putting yourself
in student’s shoes for a day.
Define Point of View
Define the Problems that you would like to solve based on
the research done so far.
Address the pain points that were identified.
Ideate for solving the pain points.
Consider the most important pain points first for the next
Prototype and Validate
Make a low fidelity prototype and show it to the interviewees.
Keep on refining this prototype based on their feedback.
This cycle goes on until a solution that delights the students
If during any stage, it is found that the wrong pain point was
addressed, go back to the blackboard and restart all over
Once the proposed solution is accepted by students, build it
for productive usage.
Address the other pain points, that were given lesser priority
earlier and incorporate these as well using the above