We need to start being an user before testing a Webpage and always we need to have some essential questions in our mind, because the experience that users will receive from the Website will be "a judge" for his/her future navigation.
L E T ’ S P U T T H E R I G H T
Q U E S T I O N S
U S A B I L I T Y T E S T I N G
- D O N N O R M A N
“It’s not enough that we build products that
function, that are understandable and usable, we
also need to build products that bring joy and
excitement, pleasure and fun, and yes, beauty to
focuses on having a deep understanding of users, what
they need, what they value, their abilities, and also their
T H E W E B S I T E P U R P O S E
& T H E TA R G E T A U D I E N C E
W H AT ’ S T H E G O A L O F T H E W E B S I T E ?
• is the message clear and consistent?
• is learnable?
• is easy to use and navigate?
• is providing the right information for users?
• is answering to the user’s questions?
– J E S S E J A M E S G A R R E T T
“What makes people passionate, pure and simple,
is great experiences. If they have great experience
with your product and they have great experiences
with your service, they’re going to be passionate
about your brand, they’re going to be committed
to it. That’s how you build that kind of
W H O A R E T H E U S E R S O F Y O U R
W E B S I T E ?
• do you understand your users?
• do you have personas?
• do you make user stories?
• do you describe scenarios?
– W I L L I A N B U T L E R Y E AT S
“Think like a wise man but communicate in the
language of the people.”
D O Y O U K N O W Y O U R U S E R S ?
• how the users find out about your website?
• what’s their profile?
• what’s the most visited pages?
• which are the most used features/elements of
I S T H E N AV I G AT I O N E A S Y T O
U N D E R S TA N D ?
• are implemented the vertical scroll and up
• it is simple to complete a task on the website?
• can user perform the action just using his/her
• the navigation is consistent?
– J A K O B N I E L S E N
“Clear content, simple navigation, and answers to
customer questions have the biggest impact on
business value. Advanced technology matters
I S T H E U S E R A B L E T O L E A R N B Y
H I M S E L F / H E R S E L F ?
• do your users need a tutorial before navigation?
• is the website easy to understand?
• is the navigation intuitive?
• is the website learnable?
• is the website using a pattern?
C O N S I S T E N C Y
& C - T- A B U T T O N S
A R E T H E E L E M E N T S C O N S I S T E N T ?
• how are the arrangements of the elements?
• how are the used colours?
• are the elements consistent on different browsers and
• are the fonts, colours and information architecture
consistent on all pages?
• have the pages the same layout?
– J A K O B N I E L S E N
“Consistency is one of the most powerful usability
principles: when things always behave the same,
users don’t have to worry about what will happen.
Instead, they know what will happen based on
earlier experience. Every time you release an apple
over Sir Isaac Newton, it will drop on his head.
A R E T H E B U T T O N S C - T- A ?
• are the messages clear?
• are the button names C-T-A?
• are the colours used the right ones? (e.g. green
for save, red for delete etc.)
I S T H E C O N T E N T E A S Y T O R E A D ?
• can be read without having a style sheet?
• is the alignment left justified? has a clear
• are the size and colour of the text readable?
• are the special characters supported?
– R A N D F I S H K I N
“When creating content, be empathetic above all
else. Try to live the lives of your audience.”
A R E T H E L I N K S E A S Y T O B E
D I S C O V E R E D ?
• are they easy to recognise?
• is the colour different from the other content?
• are the links descriptive?
• they are really functional and can be open in a
new webpage (when necessary)?
A C T I O N M E S S A G E S
& M U LT I M E D I A C O N T E N T
H O W A R E Y O U R A C T I O N M E S S A G E S ?
• are the messages displayed after any action?
• are the messages clear and easy to understand?
• are the messages personalised?
• are helping the user or they will confuse him/
– PA U L R A N D
“Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics.
Design is so simple, that’s why it is so
H O W T H E M U LT I M E D I A C O N T E N T I S
I N T E G R AT E D O N PA G E S ?
• has the user control for the carousel?
• are the images qualitative?
• is provided an ALT tag for non-text?
• has the user control for the video content?
W H AT U S E R S WA N T
• to find a place where their needs are understood
• to easy find the answers to their questions
• to talk their language and to be clear
• to be in a place where they can find patterns and learn in the
• to easy complete tasks
• to be in a consistent place that can be accessed from any
( S O M E ) U S A B I L I T Y T O O L S :
• a paper and a pencil
• accessibly checker: achecker.ca
• a 5 minute video of a real person using your app:
• contrast and colours checker: checkmycolors.com
• creating a persona: app.xtensio.com
• check the website on any resolution: viewlike.us
• test the readability: webpagefx.com/tools/read-able
R E C O M M E N D AT I O N S :
• “Usable usability” by Eric Reiss
• “Don’t make me think” by Steve Krug
• “Designing with the mind in mind” by Jeff Johnson
• “Elements of user experience” by Jesse James Garrett
• “The brain and the inner world” by Marc Solms