USED IN AMALGAM
• Used for indirect vision.
• To hold retract your tongue, lips or cheeks.
• Tendor to perkashan (TTP).
• From the back portion of the mirror we check tht tooth is realy
fractured or not.
• We wil strike the back portion of the mirror to the patient’s tooth
if patient wil blink his/her eye it means tht it is painful and it is
•To hold cotton roll.
• To hold different material.
• To transfer any material in and out of cavity.
• It is sickle shaped.
• Used to detect the tooth decay.
• To check bifurcation & furcation. Furcation
• To check the carious region.
If we apply probe on tooth and if it move smoothly
on surface so it means there is no carious region,
there is only stain so we wil not cavity prep and
Mortar & Pistile:-
Mortar is thick like a bowl and pistele is
thin like a pencil.
• Used to mix the alloy powder
and mercury to make a
Amalgam Gun:- (carier)
• Used to carry amalgam and
dispense the amalgam in
• Used for mixing.
Tofflemire matrix band
• Used to hold the matrix band.
• To maintain stability of matrix
• band during condensation of
Parts Of Tofflemire Matrix Band
Locking Nut used for tight.
Vise (box shaped)
It has a concave surface (upward) & one convex
(downward). The conxity of matrix band should
put up on the occlusal surface.
• Used to support the wall of class II.
• To replace missing proximal walls of
• cavity preparation for condensation
• of restorative material
Pointed sharp part should be apply b/w the
• Used to tight the matrix band.
• Used to comress the gingiva.
• used to separate the very tight band.
• To hold matrix band in place
• along gingival margin of class II.
Wooden wedge absorb saliva then they expand
and fill the space b/w tooth, and it has low
strength as compared to plastic wedge.
• Used to condense the amalgam.
• Used for packing the amalgam
One end of burnisher is egg type shaped &
other end is T-shaped.
• Used for burnishing.
• To remove temporary fillings.
• To remove soft caries or dentine.
• Scoope out/excavate soft
Small ball shaped at the tip of it.
• Used for application of lining.
Pointed, sharp edges.
• Both carver is used to
remove the excessive
• To produce the normal
• Used for application of
• To carry composite
• cavity preparation, and
Small plastic instrument with small
fiber bristled head.
• Use to apply primer, dentine
bond, enamel bond, sealants.
Straight strips same as matrix band.
• Thin clear strip used to
isolate cavity prep.
• Able to use cure light b/c it
is plastic strip.
Material must be cured in
increments of 2 mm or less, need to
be above 300 wavelength.
• To harden light-cure materials,
bonding, composites, sealants,
cements, build up.
Differs in generation, all in one
unit, 3 step, 2 step, brands require
• Acts as an adhesive between the
tooth and the composite material.
White syringe in which blue gel type
material is filled.
• To remove smear layer and prepare
tooth for bonding.
Dycal (Calcium Hydroxide
A base and catalyst paste, mixes
together to form a tan paste, self
sets. 1:1 ratio mix .
• Used for indirect pulp cap,
protective liner for deep cavities .
Different grits: coarse to extra- fine;
various sizes; snap-on (with metal
center) or screw-on
•To contour (coarse grit) or
polish and smooth (extra-fine
grit) restorative material.
Polishing Disc :-
Either in a syringe or composite tip.
Composite tip requires composite
• Low viscosity.
• High filler.
• Used as permanent
Manipulative Variables Of Amalgam Filling:-
Application of matrix band
Dispensing of amalgam
Some Terms Are Defined Here
1. Mesio-Occlus0-Disatl (MOD) caries on mesial
& distal surface of class-II and on occlusal surface of
2. Compound Caries on 2 surfaces.
3. Complex Caries on 3 surfaces.
MANIPULATION Of Amalgam
Before making cavity in patients mouth, we will examine the patient by
examination instruments that is there any carious region or only stained area.
Examination instruments are: dental mirror, probe/explorer, tweezer.
We will use probe to check the caries. If probe moves smoothly on the surface
of tooth so it means there is no caries only stained area is there but if probe
moves roughly on the surface of tooth it means there is caries and then we will
2- Application Of Matrix band:-
Fix the matrix band into tofflimire matrix band retainer .
3- cavity Prep:-
Cavity is prepared on the patient’s tooth where carious region is present. Cavity
can be of many types i.e. class-I cavity, class-II cavity, class-III, class-IV, class-V.
the depth of the cavity is normally 1.5 but mostly it depends on caries. Hand
piece is an instrument which is used for cavity prep.
Lining is done before amalgam filling to protect the pulp b/c amlgam can
cause microleakage. It can harm the pulp. Most commonly GIC powder &
liquid is used for lining but some time calcium hydroxide is also used.
GIC powder & liquid is taken on a glass slab with cement spatula to make a
mixture of it for lining. It is applied in cavity for lining by using dycal
Note:-always mix powder in liquid.
5- Mixing / Trituration:-
After lining alloy powder & mercury is mixed. Take alloy powder & mercury in mortar
and mix it with pestle to make a homogenous mixture. Carry amlgam with amalgam
gun and dispense it in cavity for filling.
6- Dispensing Of Amalgam:-
After applying or dispensing amlgam into cavity, we have to pack amalgam
properly into cavity with the help of condensor.
8- Pre-carve Burnishing:-
Pre-carve burnishing is done to bring excessive mercury on surface.
To remove excessive material with carver and also carving is done to
reproduce normal tooth anatomy.
10- Post-carve Burnishing:-
It is done to smoothen the surface and finish the surface and to give shine the
surface with the help of burnisher.
By smoothing the surface and removing excess material.
Polishing done by polishing discs.
Instruments Used For Cavity Prep:-
1) High speed hand piece