3. How Old Are Most Taxpayers?
● What age group represents the
highest percentage of
taxpayers in 2018?
● What age groups have seen the
sharpest increase as a
percentage of taxpayers from
2008 to 2018?
● What do you think causes the
percent of filers to jump so
dramatically between the
under-18 group and the 18-26
4. 2 Reasons To File Taxes Even If You Don’t Have To
The four requirements used to determine if you
must file a tax return are listed below.
• Filing Status:
• Dependency status (Can someone claim you as a dependent on
their tax return?):
• Annual Gross Income:
Why might it be beneficial to file a tax return even
if you don’t meet the requirements to file?
True or False: The federal government will reach
out to you if you are owed a refund.
8. 1.How does your tax knowledge
compare to the majority of the teens’
tax knowledge in the video?
2. As you learned in the video, there is
no specific age requirement to pay
• Why, then, do you think there is a
lack of awareness and general
knowledge about taxes among
How Much Do You Know About Taxes?
11. Self-Employed Workers Household Employees
Sole proprietor or independent contractor,
In business for yourself (part-time)
Plumbers, carpenters, repair workers
Self-employment tax (SECA) =
15.3% on earnings
Paid to provide a service within employer’s
Babysitter, nannies, gardeners
12. Should They File a Tax Return?
No, he didn’t make more
than the minimum - $12,400
Yes, he would likely get
a refund on taxes
withheld from paycheck
13. Exit Ticket
Complete the following sentence:
• How much you pay in taxes depends on?
True or False:
• You do not need to pay taxes if you earn income in cash.
What is the benefit of filing a tax return even if you didn’t make enough
True or False:
• The federal government will reach out to you if you are owed a