OPTIMIZE YOUR LICENSES 6 TRICKS TO OPTIMIZE YOURLICENSES : THE CASE OF ORACLE DATABASE LICENSES
Facebook files $5 billion IPO, values the company at nearly $100 billion845 Juta Pengguna FacebookBerapa Biaya Lisensi oracle :• 845 Juta x $950 = $802750 Juta = $800 Milyar• $800 Milyar > Nilai Perusahaan• Discount 50 % == > $400 Milyar• Gak mungkin lah yawwwww
Your POCKET DRAINING SYSTEMINVEST/ PRES LYRRENT NETWORK : LAN/WAN/INTERNET DMS APPLICATION LAYER GISEULA/ EAM CONTACT CNTR ERP AP2T P2APSTATS EPROC SERVICE BUS DATA LAYERDBEE/ DATA1 DATA 2 DATA3RAC/ STORAGEDRC SERVICE BUSPART/ATS
LISENSI http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_Licensing• "right to use" (RTU) the software and not the software itself.• Oracle doesnt use software keys. You can just install the software and use it. It is up to you and your consciences to license the software before using it.• Licenses are not tied to the product version. For example, an Enterprise Edition database license is equally valid for Oracle 9i, Oracle 10g or Oracle 11g.
Users http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_Licensing• Pay per user, however user is defined as any end- node that receives data from or creates data for that Oracle DB including human users. The classic case would be a grocery store system that is taking data from refrigerator thermometers and point of sale systems; in one case a user is a thermometer and in another case the user is the check out clerk, or in the case of newer self-check out terminals it would be the customer.
1. WHAT IS YOUR MACHINES? exadata IBM z • ORACLE GIVES A DISCOUNTS FOR SOME TYPE OF MACHINES CORE FACTOR. • EXAMPLE : ITS CHEAPER TO BUY (PROCESSOR BASED) LICENSE WHEN YOU USE SUN OF FUJITSU MACHINES THAN IBM OR HP MACHINES. • SOME TYPE OF MACHINES 0,5 CORE FACTOR 1,0 HAS SIMILAR PERFORMANCE ALTHOUGH HAS FEWER CORES. 128 MAX CORE NUMBER 14 CONSIDER MAINFRAME THAN SERVERS.
2. WHAT IS YOUR TYPE OF LICENSING? Named User Core Based • NAME USER LICENSE OR CORE BASED LICENSE. $950 price $47500 • IF YOU HAVE USERS > 1 Comparison 50 50, BETTER TO USE CORE BASED LICENSE THAN NAME USER LICENSE.
3. WHAT IS YOUR SERVER UTILIZATION?20% • CONSOLIDATE YOUR DATABASE20% AND SERVERS. • YOU CAN MIGRATE 80% YOUR DATA FROM20% OTHER MACHINES TO IMPROVE YOUR20% SERVER UTILISATION. 4 Cores 1 Cores 75 Users
4. DO YOU USE DATABASE FOR SPECIAL USE?• IF YOU ARE USING DATABASE FOR SPECIAL APPLICATION, IT MIGHT BE CHEAPER THAN IF YOU USE FOR SEVERAL APPLICATION.• SOME APPLICATION OFFER BUNDLED SOFTWARE WITH DATABASE WITH CHEAPER PRICE.• DON’T BUY FULL USE LICENSE IF YOU DON’T KNOW YOUR DATABASE
IS YOUR5. SYSTEM IS PHYSICAL? • YOU CAN USE VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGY TO YOUR SYSTEM. • CHOOSE WISELY BETWEE HARD PARTITIONING AND SOFT PARTITIONING. Figure 1 shows three hosts. The first host has two eight core CPUs with Linux installed running 11G. The second host has two eight core CPUs using soft partitioning with Oracle VM installed, hosting 8 guests running 11G. The third host has two eight core CPUs using hard partitioning with Oracle VM installed, hosting 8 guests. Only one of the guests is running 11G.http://itnewscast.com/chapter-3-hard-and-soft-partitioning-oracle-technologies-oracle-vm#Hard_and_Soft_Partitioning_with_Oracle_VM
6. IS YOUR APPLICATION USER A DATABASE USER? • DESIGN YOUR DATABASE AND APPLICATION ARCHITECTURE TO One DB Users One DB Users MINIMIZE DATABASE USERS WHO CAN ACCESS DATABASE BY SEPARATING BETWEE DATABASE USERS AND APPLICATION USERS. • USER THIRD PARTY APPLICATION TO MINIMIZE YOUR DATABASE COST.Many Application Users Many Application Users
7. What is your Organization? One DB Users One DB UsersMany Application Users Many Application Users No User No Users