What We All Want!
• “New hires that hit the ground running”
• “Quick learners!”
• “People keen to learn and hungry for a challenge”
• “Someone in it for the long term”
• “Initiative – pick up a task and run with it!”
• “Committed, I hate clock watchers!”
Mistakes Business Owners Often
• Rushing through the process
• Taking a shortcut at each
• Picking the best of a bad lot
• Using salary as a significant
factor in their decision.
Hallmarks of a Great Hire
Work Ethic and Focus
No gossiping or complaining
Solutions not problems
On time – demonstrates focus
Exceed all activity targets
100 100 100
Low Complexity Jobs Medium Complexity Jobs High Complexity Jobs
Journal of Applied Psychology
Why personal Branding Matters
It’s why potential employees choose you (or not)
Check out your online profile
Employers will ‘Google’ you
What do people encounter when they join your team?
Your Top Talent Wants…
• Lack of bureaucracy
• Other top talent
• Write out on a blank piece of paper, if this person was to
do an amazing job in every way, what would the job spec
• Develop a ‘River of Talent’
• Develop a strong interview framework based around
• Is this person going to add revenue or save money?
• Delegate and Excite
• Build up a reputation for developing people
Points To Consider…
1. When is the last time you got your team involved in
2. Does your selection process make it easy for people to
want to join your organisation.
3. Do you know what your interview process says to your
4. Are you a good place to work?
5. Hiring and holding talent starts with you.