Ball Point Exercise
• You’re a team: elect a PM!
• Each round consists of the following:
– 1 minute of you deciding how to organize yourself;
you get 2 minutes for the first round
– At the end of this minute, the PM provides me an
– 2 minutes of transporting balls following the rules
– 1 minute of thinking what you can do to increase the
number of balls transported while staying within the
• There are 5 rounds
Ball Point Rules
• Ball must have ‘air’ time
• No ball to a direct neighbor
• Start point = end point
• Each person must touch the ball once (except
• Dropped balls may be picked up or let go
– they won’t be counted if you leave them
– regardless, this will be your defect rate
Ball Point Debrief
• What round felt best to you? Why?
• How did you arrive at your estimates?
• What changes did you put in place? How did you
arrive at them?
• Who told you what to do? Who told you how to
• Do you think you could have gone faster?
• If one person was much better than
another, would it have helped the team go
• Product Owner
• Scrum Master
• Team Member
• (OIT PM)
• Ideal Team Size = 7 ± 2
time ≤ 3 months
1 week ≤ time ≤ 4 weeks