S U M M I T A C A D E M Y C H A R T E R S C H O O L
Bridging the GAP … Reaching New HEIGHTS
Name: ______________________________ Period: ______
Unit 1 Review Sheet
Directions: Answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper in proper social studies format.
1. Define: system
2. Define: federalism
3. Apply the definition of federalism to the criminal justice system in the United States.
4. Identify the three components of the criminal justice system in the United States.
5. Provide an example of the way each component of the criminal justice system is founded on federalism.
6. Identify the basic responsibilities of police.
7. Define: adjudication.
8. Define: sentencing.
9. Describe the role of the courts in the criminal justice system.
10. Define: Crime.
11. Identify three basic ways in which crimes can be categorized and provide one example of each.
12. Explain the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor.
13. Describe how both local and national laws reflect the values of society.
14. Contrast robbery with larceny.
15. Identify the costs of victimization.
16. Identify the cost of juvenile crime as compared with the cost of total crime.
17. Describe the potential for long term stress as a result of crime.
18. Identify trends in victimization: race, household type, age, gender.
19. Define: criminology.
20. Identify and describe the four explanations of crime.
21. What are 3 defining characteristics of gangs?
22. Why is it difficult to determine the number of gang members in the United States?
23. Describe the hierarchy found in gangs.
24. Why are young people the most likely to join gangs?
25. Describe the role of initiation in gang membership.
26. Define: turf.
27. What is the purpose of crime rate statistics?
28. How are crime rate statistics gathered?
29. Explain what is meant by the “dark figure of crime.”
30. Why do people fail to report crimes?
31. What is the public perception of crime?
32. How can crime rate statistics lead to corruption within police departments?
33. Define: corrections.
34. Explain the differences between the New York and Pennsylvania styles of corrections.
35. Describe the difference between jails and prisons.
36. Identify and describe the following correctional approaches: Rehabilitation, Crime Control and
37. Define: capital punishment.
38. What is the history of the death penalty in the United State? Today?
39. Provide two reasons that support capital punishment.
40. Provide two reasons that are against capital punishment.