Games I have worked on
What it takes to be a game designer
My story anyway…
• Working in a bank ?
• Finance and business qualifications ?
• Not being “creative” ?
What I did right
• Played games
• Self taught
• Found similar minded people
• Self belief
What is a game?
• Like digital humanities, defining games can be a subjective matter
• Difficult to shift the traditional view of the teenage male playing sports/shooter games
• Are you a gamer ?
Story/Narrative V Gameplay ?
VR and AR will challenge game definitions even further
Games and Society
◦ Better problem solving/learning
◦ Online communities/social
◦ Co-operative learning
◦ Family entertainment (e.g. Wii)
◦ Identity expression
◦ Character stereotypes
• Games – bigger than movies and music
• Majority of players over 18 are female – ESA 2015
• Major disruptors – social and mobile
• Free to play dominates
Real opportunities for female game designers
Why are you making games?
• For a living
• As personal project
• To learn new skills
• Now easier than ever
• BUT easier for everyone else too….
• AKA 2million+ apps and The Long Tail
Unity, Stencyl, GameMaker… FREE
Google Play (134 countries)…. ALMOST FREE
Go on…. Make a game !..........
For prospective games designers/developers
• Start with a personal project
• Use existing formats but innovate
• Do something simple but with the key ingredients
• Find the right authoring tool
• Good community in Ireland
• Finish it!