Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide


  1. 1. NHS student grants Guidance notes to students All Offers of a Nursing or Midwifery BA (Hons) or Diploma of Higher although they do not qualify as a refugee, they have been Education (DipHE) place at Liverpool John Moores University are granted exceptional leave to enter or remain (ELE/ELR) in the UK, subject to applicants meeting current UK residence conditions as their spouses, children or step-children. From 1st April 2003 detailed in the NHS Bursary Scheme. If you do not meet the defined ELE/ELR was withdrawn and replaced with Humanitarian criteria, you will not qualify for NHS funded support (tuition fees and Protection, Discretionary Leave and Leave Outside the Rules. bursary) and will not be able to take up the offer of a place. The EEA migrant workers, their spouses and children. University is unable to accept self-funded students on any of the EU nationals and their children who are applying for tuition mentioned programmes. support only. This information leaflet is designed to give you basic up to date Exemptions information about eligibility and about the Bursary Scheme in general, it is not intended as an authoritive guide to the Scheme. Certain students applying for DipHE Nursing & Midwifery courses Most applicants should be able to determine eligibility from the may be exempt from the eligibility criteria, providing they can information provided. This leaflet also provides answers to other provide the necessary proof. In general terms, these are students common questions we receive about bursaries. who made an application through NMAS, or had applied directly to a Higher Education Institution by 8th May 2001 (the date the changes Do you Meet the Residency Criteria? to the NHS Bursary Scheme were announced). On the first day of the first academic year of the course you must: Also exempt are students attending, or who had applied to a FE Have been ordinarily resident in the British Islands, i.e. the college by 31st December 2001 to enrol on one of the following United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, courses: throughout the preceding 3 years, and Access to Nursing Have settled status in the UK, i.e. England, Wales, Scotland and NVQ Levels 2/3 in Care Northern Ireland, within the meaning of the Immigration Act GNVQ Advanced Health & Social Care Sciences 1971, and AVCE Health & Social Care Be ordinarily resident in any UK country (this excludes residents of Channel Islands and Isle of Man because they are not What Happens Next? ordinarily resident in any UK country on the first day of the first academic year of the course). If you meet the residency criteria, you can apply for our DipHE courses via the Nursing & Midwifery Admissions Service (NMAS) or If you don’t meet these conditions you are not entitled to any NHS our BA (Hons) programmes via Universities & Colleges Admissions funded support unless you fall within the Exceptions or Exemptions Service (UCAS). If there is uncertainty about your residency status, detailed within this leaflet. your application might be rejected by us. If this does happen, please Definitions contact us directly and providing you can give evidence that you are eligible and you meet our standard entrance criteria, we will review ORDINARY RESIDENCE defined as habitual and normal residence your application. and for a settled purpose throughout the prescribed period, apart from temporary or occasional absences of the applicant or his/her If you are offered a place to study, it will be subject to your Bursary spouse or parent. Application being approved by the NHS Student Grants Unit. We will inform the Unit of your offer of a place and within 20 working days SETTLED STATUS means a person is ordinarily resident in the UK of their receiving the notification, they will send you an Application without being subject under the immigration laws to any restriction Form. It is essential that you fully complete this form and provide all on the period for which s/he may remain in the UK. of the information they request, which may include your Birth This applies to: Certificate and other proof of residence / identity. The majority of A BRITISH CITIZEN – British citizens are not subject to any applications that are not processed quickly are due to omitted restriction on their length of stay in the UK. Evidence of British information on the application form or failure to send the correct citizenship may be established by a UK birth certificate or a information that is requested, or failure to sign the application form. British Passport. All returned application forms are screened by the Student Grants A PERSON WHO HAS BEEN GRANTED INDEFINITE LEAVE TO Unit for residency testing and if applicable, are forwarded to the ENTER OR REMAIN (ILE/ILR). The immigration status of such Residency Adjudication team, who will decide whether or not to applicants may be established or verified by reference to the accept or refuse the application, or to request further information. If stamps on passports or travelling documents. an application is refused, both the applicant and university are notified straight away. Exceptions There are exceptions to the settled status requirement, as follows: How is my Bursary Calculated? Refugees, their spouses, children or step-children. Asylum Not every student will be eligible for a personal bursary. For seekers without refugee status are not eligible unless they are: example, you may be eligible to have your fees paid if you are an EU Persons who have been informed by the Home Office that National who is exercising the right to study in the UK but you will
  2. 2. not necessarily receive a Bursary. Unfortunately, until you receive an I began nurse training a few years ago but didn’t offer to study on a course, the unit will not be able to advise you on complete. I’ve decided I still want to become a nurse, this as they must have an application form and all of the relevant will I be able to receive funding? information from you before being able to make a decision. Yes, you can receive funding again but this University will want to If you are entitled, the amount you receive will depend on the course know the reasons why you stopped your training and ensure that you apply for and your circumstances. The BA (Hons) Bursary is you demonstrate (if invited to interview) both the ability and means-tested and consists of a basic grant and other appropriate commitment to complete training. It may also be possible to APEL allowances for (for example) dependants, single parents, mature (Accredited Prior Educational Learning) part of the course so that you students. Degree students are also able to apply for student loans do not have to repeat it all again but to do this you must have (providing you have completed your Local Education Authority Grant successfully completed the Common Foundation Programme. Application forms before the programme commences. This form is primarily for fees payment and although your fees will be paid by the NHS you will not receive a student loan at any point in the programme unless it is completed before commencement to the course). The DipHE Bursary is non-means tested and consists of a set basic award plus allowances for those with dependants, single parents and mature students (26 and over). The Student Grants Unit also offers a Disabled Students Allowance. All students are eligible for travel expenses when on placement – based on the difference of travelling from their term time address to university and to their placement - where the amount is greater to the placement. Further information about current rates are available in a Department of Health publication called ‘Financial Help for Healthcare Students’ available by calling 08701 555 455 and requesting publication 32059. The full document is also available online at Childcare Allowance From 1st September 2004, students in receipt of an NHS funded Bursary will be able to apply for extra help with registered and approved childcare costs. This allowance will be paid as a supplement to the existing NHS funded Bursary. 85% of actual childcare costs could be met helping those students who have dependent children and a low household income. Further information about this allowance is available in a Question / Answer document at the Bursary Units website: All students who have been offered a place will receive a Childcare application in their NHS Bursary application pack. When do I receive my Bursary? Normally within six days of starting your course you will receive your first Bursary cheque via the University but that depends on you having completed your forms correctly and sending all of the information the unit need to make their decision. This payment covers two months. You will then receive a payment directly into your bank account on the third Friday of each month. Because the cheque covers two months, students will not receive any bursary in their final month of training. What should I do if I have a problem regarding my Bursary payments? The university is unable to contact the Student Grants Unit and discuss your individual case on your behalf as they are unable to disclose your personal information to us so students must contact the unit themselves. At certain times of the year it can be very difficult to contact them because of the amount of applications that they deal with which is why it is important that you provide full details with your initial application, to avoid any delays. Bursary Allowances for Part-time Courses If the University offers a part-time course, the bursary is calculated on how many years it will take to complete. Therefore, if the planned part-time course will take five years to complete, a calculation will be applied so that you will receive a pro-rata amount per month for the five years based on what the normal payments would be if you were training on a standard 36-month programme. If, after two years part-time training (for example), there is an opportunity for you to complete the remainder of the course within two years at full-time, your payment would be altered accordingly, again based on the date you are due to complete. I am a trained Mental Health nurse but now want to train as an Adult nurse. Will I receive funding? Once you are a qualified nurse you will not be able to receive further funding for pre-registration nursing courses.