Cloud Foundry at Rakuten
Yohei Sasaki / Rakuten, Inc.
• Yohei Sasaki
• Lead of Rakuten Platform as a Service.
• Technology Background:
• IBM Tivoli / Ruby on Rails / Apache Hadoop /
Apache CouchDB / Node.js
• CloudFoundry JP
• Global Internet Service Company
• Many businesses
• 1000+ developers
• 70+ teams
• 1000+ projects
About Rakuten, Inc
• English is a official primary language in the company.
• Platform as a Service for developers in Rakuten.
• Private Cloud / On-premise deployment
• Built on top of Cloud Foundry v1.
• Started from Dec, 2011.
• Support from development to production.
• Some of our service applications are running in production
Rakuten Platform as a Service : RPaaS
• Reduce operational cost on infrastructure
• Easy to deploy and scale applications.
• Make infrastructure transparency for application
• Why not others?
• There were no other candidates :P
Why Cloud Foundry?
Check / Test
Add to Load
rpaas push myapp
Grab a coffee
Big Cost Saving
from actual user’s comments
Their operation work saved
CF & RPaaS History
Clustered Redis Support
DEA/Warden Hooks support
Integration Clustrix as a Service Support
Failed to upgrade v2
(Failed PR)bug fixes
Use Cloud Foundry as ‘kernel’.
• Understanding NATS messages is a good start point.
• Pick repos (from over 100!!) up as you need.
Clarify what CF supports and what it doesn’t.
• Well supported:
• Application runtimes (now buildpack available!).
• Still need improvements:
• Clustered data services.
• Monitoring, Logging, Alerting, …etc.
• DNS, L4 Network.
Adding More web-friendly features:
• mod_rewrite is powerful for SEO and A/B testing.
• nginx is good, but go-router??
Trying to extend database platform integration
while CF covers application part very well.
Optimizing Multiple Data Center CF deployment
Filling the GAP with CF v2.
• DEA v2 / Warden is very nice and important for us.
We are focusing on …
2013/10/26 at Tokyo, Japan
http://tech.rakuten.co.jp/ is powered by RPaaS
More details at Rakuten Technology