Katipunan Avenue, Loyola Heights
Quezon City, Philippines 1108
P.O. Box 1168, Quezon City Central Post Office
PHONE (+632) 426 6001 ext. 5600
TELEFAX (+632) 426 5985
March 8, 2010
Mr. PIPALAWAN NAGA
12-B 6th Street, MSU Main Campus
Marawi City 9700
Dear Mr. Naga,
Every year, the Ateneo de Manila University School of Science & Engineering, in
collaboration with S.C. Johnson (Philippines), Inc., organizes a Forum on a topic
related to the environment and sustainable development.
This year, we would like to tackle the challenge of Freshwater Resources and we
would like to invite you to participate as one of three speakers. The general
description of the Forum is as follows:
1. Topic: The Challenge of Sustaining our Freshwater Resources
2. Date: September 2, 2010; 2:00 – 6:00 pm
3. Venue: Leong Hall, Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon
4. The approach will be multi-sectoral. We will invite three speakers to represent
the following sectors: communities and NGOs, industry, and government
(local/national). We would like to invite you to represent the views of the
communities and NGOs, and also share the specific problems of Lake Lanao.
5. Following are the general key questions that we would like addressed. These
can be fine-tuned later:
a. What is the importance of Lake Lanao to the communities? How are the
communities being impacted by the current management of Lake Lanao?
b. Considering the importance of Lake Lanao for the whole of Mindanao,
what, in your view, are the main challenges of water management of this
c. What can the communities and NGOs do to address these challenges?
d. Based on your experiences in Lake Lanao, what lessons and best practices
can you derive which would be applicable to the entire country?
6. Each speaker will be asked to prepare a 20 minute presentation addressing the
points mentioned above. You will also be asked to prepare a written essay
suitable for publication in a book of collected essays of the SCJ forum.
7. The audience will be made up of members from academe (students and
faculty), as well as participants from industry, government agencies and non-
8. The organizing committee will seek your assistance in the preparation of
introductory material on the study areas, which will include essential data,
photographs, and video.
The SCJ Endowment fund will be pleased to provide round trip air fare and lodging
in Manila, and a modest honorarium. We will be in constant touch with you to
discuss the preparations for the Forum.
We look forward to a very fruitful Forum with you. Best wishes.
Dr. Fabian M. Dayrit