6 Effective Stepts towards Improving You Speaking Skills
How to improve
your speaking skills
1. Speak clearly
2. Develop ‘flow’
3. Choose your ‘expert’ topic
4. Become a topic expert
5. Develop style
6. Practice daily
Clear speech is direct and takes
responsibility of its meaning.
• Indirect vs. direct
‘It wasn’t appreciated.’
‘I didn’t appreciate it.’
• Not taking responsibility
‘We are not sure what to do.’
‘I’m not sure what to do.’
Clear speech is loud enough to
1Don’t overuse slang and jargon
‘That is an awesome idea.’
That is a great idea.’
‘I can give you a ballpark figure.’
‘I can give you a rough estimation.
What is ‘flow’?
• Comfort with speaking that lets you
approach all topics with equal grace.
• Most people speak too quickly.
• Speaking quickly affects accuracy and
• Pauses should be used instead of your ‘uh’s and
• Pausing should be used instead of filler words
such as ‘like’ and ‘you know’.
• Pauses can be used for emphasis.
Talk about your interests and passions, so
When talking about ‘expert’ topics you will
• Aim for conversations that you are
• Pursue positive reactions from your
• Divide your talk into subtopics.
When trying to express you content in an
interesting manner, always consider:
• Body language
Only practice makes perfect, so:
• Practice daily at home
• Set targets for yourself (e.g. speak slowly,
use gestures, etc.)
• Practice at events
For more presentations, visit:
resources for teachers and learners of English