Sending an e-mail is only half the
• Did the e-mail:
• Get through to the major ISPs on time?
• Get caught in an ISP-level spam ﬁlter?
• Get caught be a client-side spam ﬁlter?
• Get blocked by a black list?
• Look great in Eudora or Lotus Notes?
But … Most importantly
If we were going to invest in better e-mail
sending tools, it made sense to know how
our deliverability was too!
• Checks HTML e-mail in 40 e-mail clients,
including the obscure and Web mail at major ISPs
like Compuserve,Yahoo, AOL, etc.
• Monitors delivery at over 40 major ISPs and e-
mail providers (North America, Europe, and Asia)
• Analyzes content, pre-screens through spam
ﬁlters, checks for black listing
• Compare our deliverability to the industry's
Our fearless leaders
(aka Guinea Pigs!)
• The Tyee, rabble.ca, and Grist
• Lyris agreed to let us split / share one
account (their non-profit special!)
• For six months of audits, each org
• Started May 1st, 2007
• Still going strong with an average of four
organizations sharing at a time
• Subscriber development program
• Lifecycle e-mail planning
The Media Consortium is a network of the
country’s leading, progressive, independent
media outlets. Our mission is to amplify
independent media’s voice, increase our
collective clout, leverage our current
audience and reach new ones. We believe it
is possible and necessary to seize the
current moment and change the debate in