There’s real evidence that Agile software engineering projects work better than waterfall. In Silicon Valley, Agile is the de-facto standard for innovating new products. But an Agile project needs good product management and good UX design to succeed. Fitting UX in with product management and Agile can be uncomfortable for UX designers. Once you get it, though, you’ll never want to work any other way. We’ll look at:
- Why Agile works well for innovation and for software delivery
- What product management is and why your software product can’t succeed without it
- The different product phases: Discover, expand and exploit
- The role of UX in each phase
- Setting up hypotheses and metrics to keep Agile teams on track
Phil Barrett. Associate director XD, Deloitte Digital Africa
For your customers’ hearts and heads
For you business’s proﬁtability
That stays the course and gets better
Finding better ways to do what we already do.
Finding worthwhile new things to do.
Tim Brown, IDEO
In today's ﬂuid business environment,
innovation has become nothing less than
a survival strategy.
Average lifespan of corporations in the S&P 500.
But maybe you can make it happen to a competitor?
80% of changes made to a project after
launch are because of “unmet or
unforeseen user requirements”.
Software Engineering in Dollars and Cents (1993)
63% of software projects exceed theirbudgets. The top reasons: requests forchanges by users, overlooked tasks, users’ lackof understanding of their own requirements.
James Martin and Carma McClure,Software maintenance, the Problem and its Solution, Prentice Hall
leapfrogs you here.
No-one adopts it.
But the budget runs
The evolution of a software product follow patterns that we do see in
architecture and business and evolution. But happening so much more
• A race.
• With a moving ﬁnish line.
• Keep improving to stay ahead - and survive.
Mastering this is a key competitive edge.
• Design and build stuff quickly.
• Let people use it for real.
• Extend and change it as you learn what works.
• Managing business stakeholders
• “Look and feel” of the product
• Adding features and keeping the
backlog up to date
• Business case
AKA “Digital proposition manager”
“Neither intuition nor
expert opinion are good
gauges of the value our
ideas have for users.
the slowest 25% of
as the fastest 25%
They were hard to make and most people did a bad job.
How much would people bid for their own frogs?
And the frogs of others? And expert -made frogs?
• Average bid for expert-made frog: 27¢
• Average bid for own frog: 23¢
• Average bid by someone else for that same frog: ¢5c
Flickr: Lars ploughman
• Succumbing to their own/organisational hallucination
• Adding complexity: “And we could also…”
• Forgetting customer contact and even analytics.
THEPRODUCTMANAGERAKA “Digital proposition manager”
Measurement - Gathering
and analysing the product
outcomes to prove it’s
delivering customer value.
Research - understanding
what users are doing with
the software, and what
Lean uses small
Test out each
assumption as you
Would you use this?
The most important thing you can’t ﬁnd out in a usability test
DESIGNANDRELEASEITERATIVELY to deliver innovation and measure impact
0% 25% 50% 75% 100%
Successful Challenged Failed
Ambysoft/Dr Dobb’s 2013
Ship #1Discover Extend and optimise
needs and behaviours,
Release a small
Build and learn
towards a great
Extend and optimise
Discover Ship ﬁrst release
Establish product market ﬁt Release a small but valuable product Build and learn towards a great product
•• Use UCD tools to discover product market ﬁt
• • Deﬁne assumptions and hypotheses
••• Participate in all the ceremonies
• • Include UX in the deﬁnition of done
••• Log and prioritise UX debt
•• Integrate user research
•• • Use analytics to (dis)prove hypotheses
Our batches are smaller.
Use social proof
stats and stories to
Add a video
choose to invest
choose to invest
of customer money
We believe that
building this feature
for these people
will achieve this outcome.
We will know this is true when we see
this quantitative measure
AND this qualitative response.
We believe that
building A SOCIAL PROOF PANEL
for NEW, inexperienced investors
will achieve An increase in customer
acquisition from the landing pages.
We will know this is true when we see A 20%
increase in people starting and finishing
signup AND All users show a neutral or
positive response in user testing.
Design and analysis
Design and analysis Design and analysis
• Reﬁnement: Interface
design and hypothesis
creation for upcoming
• Sprint Planning: The
interface is put along side the
user stories as they go onto
the sprint backlog.
• Evaluation: Evaluation
workshops and user
• Sprint review: Review what
was built and discuss latest
analytics and hypotheses.
• Retrospective: Discuss
how to optimise the
design process, not just
the dev process.
Deﬁnition of done (universal)
• the code is well-written.
• the code is checked in.
• the code comes with automated tests at all
• the code has been reviewed.
• appropriate documentation has been
Acceptance criteria (per story)
• user is logged in only when proper
credentials are provided
• a "remember me" option is available
• user can request a password reminder
• user is locked out after three failed
Interface conforms to:
• the product’s design principles
• the style guide
• your selected UX heuristics (Norman,
Cooper, Deloitte Digital… )
Interface conforms to the wireframe
and UI notes.
“We didn’t know people did that/
wanted that/needed that.
“People can live with it. Let’s spend
the time on this other new
Designers have to work harder
to make the system intelligible.
Users see increasing
complexity or diminishing
There’s a wonderful place to
put all the UX issues that
haven’t been addressed.
The product backlog.
Get UX debt in there and
help prioritise it
Just tell the recruiter to
“bring us 5 users every second Thursday.”
Design and analysis Design and analysis Desi
Design and analysis
GOOD FOR MEASURING PRODUCT
Gartner’s pace layers application strategy
It’s your job not
to let the slower
layers stop you
“It’s good to be ﬁrst.
It’s better to be good.
It best to be both.