Test paper final test marketing for services semes 2
Faculty: Business Management Promotion: I Year II Semester II Shift................................
Academic Year: 2013-2014Subject: Service Marketing
Exam-Date: 01/ 05 /2014 Duration: 1H
I. Definition Questions (10 marks)
Choose the correct term for the definition and write it in the space provided
a. servicescape f. Skimming price
b. service breakdown g. Person/Role Conflict
c. service delivery system h. boundary spanning roles
d. Remote service i. self-service technologies
e. service culture j. Service quality improvement
1. ___________________situations when customers have expectations of a certain type or level of service
that are not met by a service provider
2.____________________ the environment in which the service is delivered and in which the firm and the
customer interact, and any tangible commodities that facilitate performance or
communication of service which all aspects of the organizations facility and physical
evidence are done
2. ____________________ new services introduced at high price when large promotional expenditures and
effective when services are major improvement over past services.
4. ____________________ where the final “assembly” take place and the product is delivered to the customer at
building, equipment, and personnel ( front stage)
5. ____________________ Employee only; has little or no customer involvement with the servicescape. Service
can be provided without the customer ever seeing the service facility.
6. ____________________Service workers may feel role conflict when they are required to subordinate their
feelings or beliefs, as when they are asked to live by the motto "The customer is
always right—even when he is wrong."
7. ____________________ a culture where an appreciation for good service exists, and where giving good
service is internal as well as ultimate, external customers is considered a natural way
of life and one of the more important norms by everyone
8. ____________________ frontline service employees who operate at the organizations and provide a link
between the external customer and environment and the internal operations of the
organization boundary by interpreting information and resources to and from the
organization and it external constituencies.
9. ____________________ services produced entirely by the customer without any direct involvement or
interaction with the firms employees and service production continuum
10. ____________________will positively affect diff kinds of customer intentions, such as praising firm, preferring
company over others, increasing volume of purchases, or agreeably paying a price premium.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
II. Multiple Questions. (10 marks)
1. Which of the following statements about customer-defined standards is true?
a. Virtually all companies possess service standards and measures that are customer-defined.
b. Anchoring service standards on customers can save money by identifying what the customer values.
c. The customer standards used today reflect the history of the business using them.
d. Customer-driven standards are necessary to close provider gap 1.
e. All of the above statements about customer-defined standards are true.
2. Which of the following is an example of a soft customer-defined standard?
a. tone of voice
b. problem fixed right the first time
c. on-time delivery
d. order 100 percent accurate
e. all complaints are handled by end of workday
3. What is the first step in developing customer-defined standards?
a. identify existing or desired service encounter sequence
b. identify customers
c. translate customer expectations into behaviors
d. select behaviors and actions for standards
e. examine servicescape for unrealized service encounters
4. Which of the following statements describes the important criteria used for setting service
a. The standards cover exceptional performance examples.
b. The standards are reactive.
c. The standards are not viewed as challenging by employees.
d. The standards are based on behaviors and actions that have proven historically important
e. None of the above statements describes the important criteria used to set service standards.
5. What needs to be analyzed and distributed to support evaluation and decision making at multiple
levels within the company?
a. Feedback about customer complaints
b. Feedback about training staff members
c. Feedback about relationship management with consumers
d. Feedback about market segmentation
e. Feedback about performance
6. Who sets the quality standard for the customer service offered by a business?
a. Marketing director
b. Board of directors
c. Customer service director
7. CRM stands for:
a. Customers Resource management
b. Customer Revenue Management
c. Customer Relationship Management
d. Central Resource management
8. The lifetime value of a client refers to what?
a. The company revenue spent on advertising
b. The total amount a company spends on keeping a customer happy
c. The monetary value per Customer accrued to a company over a measured period
d. The money spent on a product or service by a customer each year
9. Employees who have the most direct contact with customers are often referred to as
a. front line staff
b. Customer service reps
d. back room staff
10. You’re the only employee working at a small clothing store. You’re engaging a customer when the
phone rings. Do you:
a. Tell the customer “excuse me” while you answer the phone, then put the caller on hold while you go back
to the customer.
b. Let the phone ring and continue to engage the customer.
c. Take the call and address the caller’s issue, then hang up and come back to the customer
d. Ask the customer to answer the phone, while you try on this cute new pantsuit that just came in.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
III. True / False Questions (10 marks)
1. The purpose of developing feedback mechanisms is to provide criticism/advice on employee
performance to the standards set by the organization to meet customer needs.
2. One of the methods in developing customer-defined standards involves translating customer
expectations into behaviors and actions for each service encounter.
3. A negative value of capacity cushion indicates that the average demand is less than the capacity
4. Services → process focused, first come first serve, location often near customers, labor is scheduled
not the customer
5. service culture → the pattern of shared values and beliefs that give the members of an organization
meaning, and provide them with the rules for behavior in the organization
6. PRODUCT Strategies for Service → The gap between what customers want and what management
thinks customers want
7. Non-profit organizations provide services that respond to the wants of: → -Users, payers, donors,
politicians, appointed officials, media, general public
8. What is Gap 3? → The gap between the service quality specifications and the service that is actually
9. Experience qualities → Customers may lack knowledge to make assessment, even after purchase
e.g. medical or consulting service
10. Five Gaps → Gap 1: What customers and what you think they want
Gap 2: What you think customers want and quality specifications developed
Gap 3: Service quality specifications and what is actually provided
Gap 4: What company provides and what customers are told they provide
Gap 5: Service customers receive and the service they want
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
IV. Discussion Questions (5 Marks each)
1. What is the different between hard and soft standards? Give examples of each hard and soft
2. Explain the role of non-monetary costs in the marketing services?
The end of the exam!
Good luck to your exam