What Is a Cover
• A cover letter expresses your interest in
and qualifications for a position to a
What Should My
• Your cover letter should introduce the
main points of your resume.
• It should also help you to “sell” your
qualifications to the prospective
Your first paragraph should:
• Get the reader’s attention, stimulate
interest, and be appropriate for the job
you are seeking.
• You should make your goal clear for the
• Your body paragraph(s) should:
• Highlight your strongest qualifications for the
position for which you are applying.
• Demonstrate how these qualifications will
benefit the employer.
• Lead employers to your enclosed or attached
• Conclude by asking for an interview.
• Include a thank you.
• Mention your salary history or
requirements (if requested). Watch out
with this one…only include if requested.
Cover Letter Tips
• Use concrete words to describe your
• Use present tense to discuss current activities
and past tense for previous job duties or
• Cover letters should be no longer than one
page. Employers/HR people want to do one
Need help or
advice with a
• Contact your Career Services Specialists
• Contact me…comp I teacher
• Let’s look at a cover letter example and
write a cover letter. We’ll share these
together in class.
• Course project part 3—rough draft of at
least five paragraphs. THIS IS
IMPERATIVE THAT YOU TURN THIS IN
NEXT WEEK. THAT WAY ON WEEK
TEN WE’LL HAVE SOMETHING TO
• Rework your resume using the skills
gained in lecture