• A disaster is an undesired catastrophic event that affects community
• Disasters range from pandemics to high magnitude train accidents.
• These events have detrimental community heath effects.
• Nurses are essential agents in developing recovery processes and
• This project presents Valley City community disaster recovery plan.
• This project looks at the case of Valley City. The community comprises
numerous populations based on age, gender and race.
• The current challenges are represented through the disaster that
happened years ago.
• The train disaster affected multiple populations leading to
homelessness while undermining their overall relationships in health
and social outcomes.
• Considering the disaster, it is worth creating a recovery plan to
promote wellness and empower the community socially.
Community needs assessment
• Valley City is comprised of numerous populations like whites, blacks and
• These communities have diverse health needs with some being homeless
while others physically disabled.
• Additionally, when the disaster happened, it affected the community
negatively with some people being rendered homeless.
• Further, since the train accident, the community`s health systems were
overwhelmed leading to reduced services delivery.
• The community has limited resources to foster better response to the
disaster effects like finances, health interventions due to poverty and
Resources, responsibilities and roles
• Following the disaster, the community will benefit from a reliable
intervention in line with the program roles and responsibilities.
• 1. the government
• 2. doctors
• 3. Nurses and community health practitioners
• 4. educators
• Their primary roles will reflect on providing resources like education,
medical interventions and federal interventions according to the
The MAP-IT approach
• In the first step, the team will mobilize the available resources from the
• The team will focus on collecting essential data about the target
community to deliver quality interventions.
• The second step will collect community needs considering the elderly,
physically disabled, homeless and immigrants.
• However, it is worth classifying the community using the triage framework.
• On the same note, contact tracing will be considered in this stage where
local data carriers and governments will be used in contacting the
community members (Hipper, et al. 2018).
Description and application
• In the planning stage, the team will create a reliable intervention
following the five months schedule.
• The implementation process will involve education, awareness
campaigns and health interventions to counter community
• The tracking stage will allow the teams to work with local
communities and governments in tracking the affected populations
following the disaster.
• Reducing the community health disparities will be achieved through
• 1. Providing educational interventions and material
• 2. Implementing community based programs
• 3. Progressive community support through financial, educational and
Healthy people 2020 goals attainment
• Achieving the intended goals will require the team to focus on the
healthy people 2020 and 2030 goals.
• The community following the disaster suffered diverse challenges like
mental health and displacement (Miotto, Sanford, Brymer, Bursch &
• Promoting mental health
• Ensuring equity in resources access
• Community empowerment will promote awareness and health
Community trace mapping
• The government is an essential player in the contact tracing and
community health intervention processes.
• The contact trace mapping will be performed by various players like
the government, carrier companies and neighborhood groups.
• These teams will deliver valuable frameworks for identifying and
following up the victims and enrolling more people into the programs.
• Disasters usually happen affecting the community`s health outcomes.
• The disaster in the community negatively affected its health
outcomes considering the perceived trends in the overall wellness.
• Some of the people were physically injured while multiple casualties
• The survivors have various challenges in disparities in addition to
• The program above focuses on community empowerment improving
the overall livelihood the underlying population reported.
• Miotto, K., Sanford, J., Brymer, M. J., Bursch, B., & Pynoos, R. S.
(2020). Implementing an emotional support and mental health response
plan for healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic (Vol. 12, No. S1,
p. S165). Educational Publishing Foundation.
• Hipper, T. J., Davis, R., Massey, P. M., Turchi, R. M., Lubell, K. M., Pechta, L.
E., ... & Chernak, E. (2018). The disaster information needs of families of
children with special healthcare needs: a scoping review. Health
security, 16(3), 178-192.
• Pineda, V. S., & Corburn, J. (2020). Disability, urban health equity, and the
coronavirus pandemic: promoting cities for all. Journal of Urban
Health, 97(3), 336-341.
In the community setting, numerous challenges may arise affecting the overall health outcomes achieved.
The healthcare providers play a crucial role in defining the ultimate resources and interventions to use in handling the arising community health issues.
A disaster arises affecting the community negatively considering diverse dimensions like health and social relationships.
While nurses play a crucial role in the disaster recovery processes, community awareness and preparedness affects the effectiveness of the selected interventions. this project addresses the disaster recovery plan for Vila health scenario considering Valley City community.
Considering the valley city community, some of the factors influencing the health access include its composition.
The community comprises of numerous populations including whites, blacks and Hispanics.
Their access to care services differs across the racial lines.
Further, poverty has affected the abilities to access essential care services. The community is made up of numerous pupations with diverse needs.
Following the disaster, some of the people were physically disabled with others rendered homeless. On the same note, some people were confined in homeless shelters while the existing health resources were overwhelmed according to the arising community needs concerning the disaster.
In accomplishing the planned goals, this project will rely on diverse resources (Pineda & Corburn, 2020). The primary resources include finances and educational interventions.
On the same note, the primary stakeholders involved in the project are doctors, community health nurses, the regulators and the federal players.
Their roles are to provide essential resources like legal guidance, health interventions, finances and educational material.
Their overall roles reflect on prompting community health awareness through financial, social, federal and ethical interventions.
The MAP-IT framework offers a strategic approach for handling the community health needs and demands.
In the first instance, the primary focus will be on creating a reliable approach for mobilizing the relevant stakeholders and partners according to the plan requirements.
This stage will allow the stakeholders to collaborate with relevant partners in delivering value to the community according to its needs and demands.
The second step will collect the community health needs and demands according to the arising trends.
This step will collect information like the elderly, physically disabled and the homeless.
In the third step, the primary interventions will be to create a reliable plan for implementing the proposed recommendations.
The planning stage will allow the teams to consider the effects linked with the disaster while improving healthcare access.
On the same note, the team will be responsible for improving health access according to the underlying healthy people 2020 initiatives.
Some of the issues to address include the emotional community needs, physical health, educational resources dispensation and empowerment to counter their financial challenges.
These aspects will improve the community empowerment according to the healthy people 2020 and 2030 care access and disease prevention goals.
The plan will be implemented in five months where the nurses will dispense care interventions while offering educational material to the community members. On the same note, the nurses will rely on the collected community health data to influence their decisions in the intervention processes. The government will ensure compliance while doctors will deliver medical and clinical interventions. the team will track the progress made using the set milestones and criteria. Further, the government will facilitate the contact tracing and follow up processes. The team will allocate the community resources according to the triage classification. The people in need of immediate attention will be considered first. The classification will be based on numerous groups like critical, delayed, dead and urgent will help the teams to deliver essential interventions according to their needs. The carrier providers will work with the government and local communities to facilitate tracking. The local neighborhood watch and groups will provide essential population information to facilitate the tracking processes.
The plan will help the teams to consider the current disparities the community exhibits based on diverse factors like poverty, social relationships and race.
The initial interventions will be based on community empowerment financially, socially and from an educational dimension. These interventions are focused on improving the community`s awareness and preparedness.
In accomplishing this goal, the team will determine the factors responsible for the disparities witnessed within the community. The second stage will allow the teams to provide the ideal interventions according to these factors like educational, social and financial support.
The progressively community engagement will promote equity in resources provision and needs response.
The government has created a framework for promoting access to quality health resources and services. The team will work according to these requirements considering empowering the minority like the immigrants and disabled.
Considering the current challenges, the primary focus will be on promoting community health and wellness.
Secondly, the team will handle mental health issues affecting the community following the disaster.
On the same note, the team will focus on reducing disparities by empowering the community financially and socially.
Trace mapping will be accomplished through various interventions. the government will use the local resources and carrier companies in contact tracing.
This process will involve diverse players like the government, carrier providers and neighborhood watch groups.
On the same note, maintaining a positive relationship with the affected populations will provide information about more victims who may not be aware of the intervention.
On the same note, the team should focus on technologies to map the victims who received the intervention while facilitating the follow up processes.