By J Beatty
Common cause of disc swelling.
Most common cause of papillodema.
NB because papilloedema can = mass lesion.
NB because IIH can lead to significant visual
Modified Dandy Criteria
Signs and symptoms of raised intracranial
Normal neuro exam, except 6th
Elevated CSF pressure with normal
Demographics and General Info
Typical = early adult, women, overweight or
recent weight gain.
Cause and mechanism unclear (? decreased
CSF absorption from dysfunctional arachnoid
villi). Numerous other postulations.
– 90% of patients (most common).
– 60% pulsatile intracranial noise.
– Transient visual obscurations (TVOs), 72%.
– Blurred vision.
– Enlarged blind spot or other visual field loss.
Before examination, think!?
Very long list of conditions to consider in the
Need to exclude cranial venous conditions,
mass lesions and specific known causes of
elevated intracranial pressure.
Venous thrombosis or obstruction.
– Pseudotumor like appearance, difficult to exclude.
– Cerebral dural venous sinus thrombosis > increased
venous pressure >decreased CSF absorbtion.
– Seriously effected patients develop cortical vein
thrombosis and cerebral infarction.
– Also thrombosis of transverse and sigmoid sinus.
– Cause of clot formation: