Richard D. Buchanan ‐ Questionnaire Response
Candidate: Richard D. Buchanan
Address: 1821 Glenn School Rd. Durham, NC 27704
1. In today’s mobile society it is imperative that the Sheriff’s Office works closely with not only Durham City
but all law enforcement in Durham County and adjoining counties. Cooperation amongst all agencies to
prevent duplication of service and to ensure full cooperation on overlapping investigations is a desired
2. The Sheriff’s Office has taken the lead in ensuring school safety through the SRO program. It is my
desire to continue this tradition. I will work diligently to ensure all officers involved in schools are
thoroughly trained in non‐violent intervention, gang education and community oriented policing.
3. I will increase the training in gang awareness and abatement throughout the agency to include detention
officers. But I believe it will take innovative approaches and better education to eliminate the gang
culture that exists in our society today.
4. If you are talking about illegal possession of handguns I will take a hard line stand in an effort to eradicate
illegal handguns from our society. However, if you’re talking about possession of legal handguns by law
abiding citizens it is my intent to fully respect and support those constitutional rights afforded by the 2nd
5. I will seek an external audit to see if there are better ways of handling witness security at our current
facilities. My staff will not tolerate witness intimidation. I will also ask that our staff take a proactive
course of action in educating patrons of the court house on proper court house etiquette.
6. I personally feel that the majority of our non‐violent criminals would be better served through pre‐trial
community corrections than pre‐trial incarceration. I will search the country for best practices in dealing
with this issue and will implement those practices in Durham County.
7. Simply put, money. It is imperative in order to recruit and retain the best people that law enforcement
has to offer, that we increase the pay of our employees. It will be my policy to prioritize the investment
in people and not equipment. The difference between all great organizations and good organizations
are the employees.
8. The best part of the current administration is their continued emphasis on professionalism throughout
the ranks through continued support of the international accreditation process. The worst thing about
the current administration is communication both internally and externally. It will be a priority of mine
to improve dialogue not only within the agency but throughout the greater community.
9. I fully support any program that undertakes to provide quality health care to those less fortunate
individuals who otherwise could not afford health care. I believe the Affordable Health Care Act will
reduce medical expenses in the jail facility.
10. I would hope no one out there would vote for me based on my personal views. I would prefer that they
vote for me based on my career track record of treating all persons fairly and with respect and dignity. I
will honor all persons rights whether they are created “statutorily” or are God given.
11. It is impossible for me to choose one. I am issue driven, not agenda driven.
12. All my decisions are based from an ethical approach to the situation. Treating people fairly and
approaching every situation from an ethical view point will always guide my decision making.
Throughout my career I have taken a people first approach rather than a process first approach.
13. Durham, NC
15. Since my voting record has no bearing on my qualifications or ability to lead the Durham County Sheriff’s
Office, I respectfully refuse to answer this question.
Richard D. Buchanan – Resume
My career goal is to serve the Durham Community with diligence and honor as the Sheriff of Durham County.
Improve communications between the Sheriff’s Office and the community we are sworn to protect.
May 1980 – April 2012 Durham County Sheriff’s Office Durham, NC
Deputy Sheriff (Deputy to rank of Major)
Worked patrol, responded to calls, served civil and criminal process.
Worked and supervised criminal investigations as Sergeant And Lieutenant.
Worked and supervised training division, accreditation process, internal affairs, fleet maintenance as a Captain.
Worked and supervised accreditation process, internal affairs, fleet maintenance, records, communications,
warrant control, School Resource Officers, community service unit and patrol commander as a Major.
August 1972 Wayne School Chicago, IL
High School Diploma
Worth L. Hill, former Sheriff
Roland Leary, former Sheriff
Michael D. Andrews, current Sheriff
Jim Hardin, Superior Court Judge
Archie Smith, Clerk of Court
Wayne High School