What is web 2.0?
● The term Web 2.0 is commonly associated with
web applications that facilitate interactive
information sharing, interoperability, user-
centered design, and collaboration on the World
● A Web 2.0 site gives its users the free choice to
interact or collaborate with each other in a social
media dialogue as creators of user-generated
content in a virtual community, in contrast to
websites where users are limited to the passive
viewing of content that was created for them.
● The term "Web 2.0" was coined in 1999 by
Darcy DiNucci, a consultant on electronic
● In 2004, the term began its rise in
popularity, and was define as “Web as
Platform”, where software applications are
built upon the Web as opposed to upon the
● Web 2.0 websites provide the user with more
user-interface, software and storage facilities,
all through their browser
● “It's a participatory Web"
● Rich user experience, user participation,
dynamic content, web standards...
● openness, freedom and collective intelligence
Popular web 2.0 tools
● Social bookmarking
● Social networking
● Web-based applications