▪ This presentation is designed to educate students, college
faculty, and the general public regarding Yoga studies.
▪ It is recommended that all information presented in the
presentation be shared with your primary care physician.
▪ Alternative medical techniques may contradict other
conventional styles of medicine. This may cause adverse
reaction to treatment and even death.
▪ Yoga is a safe practice if done correctly. It is recommended that
any person(s) that are wanting to integrate yoga into their
routine, please seek a certified professional. This will prevent
▪ According to the research,
the discipline or foundation of
yoga is unknown.
▪ There are ancient literatures
that were found to be useful
as the foundational methods
▪ The main text that was found
around 200 B.C was The
Patanjali Yoga Sutras. This
text did not provide
descriptions of yoga exercises
but the philosophy behind
yoga practice (Kruszewska,
▪ Yoga practice originated in the
indies. The styles and
philosophies differ depending
on the region and the guru that
came up with the poses and
psychology of the practice.
▪ Yoga ultimately is a form of
mind and body medicine that
will aid the patient in relieving
▪ Yoga distresses the body to
naturally heal itself by sending
stressful chemicals (Cortisol)
and other toxins out of the
▪ Yoga is a science and a form of
enlighten psychology .
The Yogist and Stress
▪ Stress can cause the body to
become susceptible to disease
such as cold, flu's, and other
▪ The Yogist psychology
channels negative energy and
positive energy into one
breath. Positive energy goes in
and negative energy goes out
▪ The breath is the cycle of life.
The breath of a person should
always be a healing breath and
never one that is caused by
stress (huffing and sighing).
▪ Yoga is a practice that can be
perceived as a religious
practice, but it is not.
▪ Yoga is a form of mind-body
medicine that can relax the
body and bring the mind a
▪ Yoga can also promote
muscles flexibility and joint
▪ Mediation can treat depression
and other medical disorders.
▪ This form of yoga practice focuses on
▪ This yoga practice is mostly used in
▪ The form of breathing that is used is
called ujjayi. This form of breathing is
slow and is used to relax the body and
mind (Baby Center, 2013).
▪ Ujjayi therapeutic breathing is used in
Naturopathy to control pain caused
contractions, other pain caused by
injury or sickness, and anti-anxiety
▪ Caution: make sure that you are
healthy enough to conduct the
exercises. Make sure that you are
sharing all activities with your
primary care Doctor. If you feel
contractions, bleeding, spotting, or
any other negative reactions. Stop
the exercise and call your Doctor.
Bikram (Hot) Yoga
▪ Bikram yoga was integrated
from India to the United States
by Mr. Bikram Choudhury in
1974 (Pizer, 2013).
▪ This form of yoga is practiced
in temperatures reaching 95-
100 degrees Fahrenheit.
▪ Bikram yoga may detox the
body by sweating out poisons
and other impurities.
▪ Caution: make sure that you
are well hydrated during the
classes. Recognize the
symptoms of dehydration and
▪ This form of yoga is the same as
any other forms of yoga but
tailored to children.
▪ This form of yoga has been proven
to promote flexibility and social
▪ There are studies that show this
form of yoga practice may reduce
behavior problems in school.
▪ Caution: Children with medical
disabilities may need further
assessment by the trainer/yogist.
All medical disabilities must be
shared with the Yogist to ensure
safety during the exercises
(diabetes, spinal problems, heart
disease, medications, etc).
▪ This form of yoga focuses on empowerment.
▪ Its philosophies are the beliefs that every
human holds exquisite and magnificent light
▪ This form of yoga uses body poses to reflect
light or empowerment from the sun.
▪ To the left hand side is an example of Anahata
▪ Cautions: This form of yoga can be a strain on
the body. Make sure that you are performing
these exercises under the skillful eye of a
▪ This form of yoga uses the same
movements as any other yoga discipline.
▪ Practitioners believe returning to self-
purification of the mind (Parker, 2013)
▪ Yoga is a form of relaxation and
detoxification of the spirit and mind. If
you clear the mind you will rid the spirit
▪ On the left hand side, there is an
example of SyasthaYoga.
▪ This form of yoga get its roots
from Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga.
▪ This form of yoga was inspired by
several yogist but one in
particular is Larry Schultz.
▪ This is an intensive style of yoga
that requires self-discipline and
controlled body movements.
▪ Caution: Do not perform this
form of yoga if you have any type
of muscle pains or strains. This
form of yoga has the highest
injury rate due to improper
technique. Most injuries are
recorded as back injuries.
▪ This form of yoga does not have a
inspired author recorded but originates
▪ This form of yoga is mixed with marital
arts and requires a lot of energy.
▪ The marital art poses that are used
during the exercises are from the tai chi
▪ To the left, there is a video that will give
more information regardingTao practice.
▪ This form of yoga comes from India and is
the most medicinal forms of yoga.This is
an Ayurvedic remedy for disease control.
▪ This form of yoga uses hand and finger
gestures to treat diseases in the body.
▪ This is the most simplest forms of yoga
that focuses on mind-bodyhealing. Nerve
ending organ stimulation through the
▪ This techniques is used by Ayurvedic
practitioners in India and in the United
▪ There is a video to the left that will display
how this technique is done.
▪ Caution: it is important to make sure that
the practitioner is trained in this art.This
art may be used as an alternative form of
therapy to compliment conventional
therapy. Improper use of this art may cause
(Qi) energy disruptions causing diseases.
▪ Yoga is a form of meditative exercises that will clear the mind of
congestion and clutter.
▪ All forms of yoga has its benefits and dangers. It is recommended that a
certified yogist conduct any type of yoga treatment.
▪ At this time, there are no state laws that prevent a unlicensed yogist from
teaching classes. I recommend for the safety of the group, that the class
leader become certified. This will prevent back and other muscle-skeletal
injuries as a results of bad posture.
▪ There are online courses that an instructor may take to become certified. I
highly recommend in classroom training. This will give the instructor more
knowledge to share with fellow colleagues, clients, and future employers.
▪ Listen to your body, if it hurts stop and seek advice from the Yogist and
your primary care physician.
▪ Lastly, have fun getting fit and relax from all tension. Take care and be in
▪ Batra, P. (Director). (2011). What is Tao Yoga [Motion Picture].
▪ Carter, B. (2013). Great Pregnancy Exercise. Prenatal Yoga , pg 1. Retrieved from Prenatal
▪ Free Malaysia Today. (n.d.). Stress Man . Retrieved from www.freemalaysiatoday.com
▪ Kruazewska, M. (2007). What is Yoga and Where does it come from. pg 1.
▪ Mind body Green . (n.d.). Yoga History. Retrieved from www.mingbodygreen.com
▪ Parker, M. (Director). (2013). Testimony Svustha Yoga Institute [Motion Picture].
▪ Pizer, A. (Director). (2013). Bikram Yoga [Motion Picture].
▪ Today, D. Y. (n.d.). Different Types off Yoga Today. Retrieved from www.discover-yoga-
▪ what is power yoga. (2013). So what is power yoga . Retrieved from