DOs of Spain (Mainland only) Andalucia Catalonia Condado de Huelva; Jerez-Xeres- Alella; Catalunya; Conca de Barberà; Costers Sherry; Málaga; Manzanilla Sanlúcar de del Segre; Empordà; Montsant; Penedès; Pla Barrameda; Montilla-Moriles; Sierras de de Bags; Priorat; Tarragona; Terra Alta Málaga Extremadura Aragon Ribera del Guadiana Calatayud; Campo de Borja; Cariñena; Somontano Galicia Monterrei; Rías Baixas; Ribeira Sacra; Castile-Leon Ribeiro; Valdeorras Arlanza; Arribes; Bierzo; Cigales; Ribera del Duero; Rueda; Tierra de La Rioja (DOCa) León; Tierra del Vino de Zamora; Toro Madrid Castile-La Mancha Vinos de Madrid Almansa; Dehesa del Carrizal; Dominio Navarra de Valdepusa; Finca Élez; Guijoso; Jumilla; La Mancha; Manchuela; Valencia Méntrida; Mondéjar; Ribera del Júcar; Alicante; Utiel-Requena; Valencia Uclés (DO); Valdepeñas
Classification of Spanish wines Vino de Mesa Vino Comarcal – regionally specific Vino de la Tierra – Spains answer to French vin de pays Denominacion de Origen (DO) – equivalent to French AC Denominacion de Origen e Calificada (DOCa) – only awarded to Rioja & Priorat (DOQ in Catalan!)
Aging: Four Categories Joven is wine released Reserva is aged for at the year after vintage least three years, of which may or may not which at least one year is have been in oak. in oak. Crianza is wine aged for Gran Reserva wines at least two years, at have been aged five least six months of which years, at least eighteen was in oak. months in oak and the rest in bottle. More stringent regulation in Rioja and Ribera del Duero
1. Codorniu Seleccion RaventosBrut, NV Méthode Champenoise A modern example of Cava from the Catalan region of Spain. The Codorníu family have been pioneers in the region since first producing Cava in 1872. In 1985 incorporated Chardonnay into the blend of traditional grape varieties (Macabeo & Xarel-lo) in order to make a more aromatic style.
Codorniu Seleccion Raventos Brut,NV Pale lemon - golden colour Good streams of fine bubbles. (mousse) Peachy and lemon aromas Full bodied, vibrant with fruit flavours. Crisp mineral acidity.
2. Torres Viña Esmeralda, DOPenedes, 2010 Torres – a major family-owned business based in Catalonia Grape variety: 85% Muscat, 15 % Gewurztraminer Nose: Taste:
Torres Viña Esmeralda, DOPenedes, 2010 Lovely delicate honey and fresh grapefruit characters are tempered by the zip and spice of a little Gewürztraminer.
Compania de Vinos TelmoRodriguez Telmo Rodríguez, a bright young winemaker” sees huge, unrealised potential in his own country. Based in Logroño, he is a “driving” winemaker, visiting projects as far flung as Galicia, Rioja, Ribera del Duero, Malaga and Jumilla.
3. Gaba do Xil, Godello, DOValdeorras, 2010 Grape variety: Godello, an indigenous variety The vineyard is called La Falcoeira, in the town of Santa Cruz An ancient vineyard, planted with a mixture of varieties, but Telmo Rodriguez has focused its work on the native varieties, Godello and Mencia. Telmo believes that the area has enormous potential, and could be one of the great discoveries from the past. Unoaked, this is made from vines grown on slate and granite soils
Gaba do Xil, Godello, DOValdeorras, 2010 Colour: Pale straw yellow Nose: Nose subtle, not very intense, but very frank and fruity. Tropical fruit, apricot, citrus; hint of honey; and soft minerality Palate: Good texture, full flavoured (unctuous) and silky with strong acidity. Tasty and long finish.
Manga Culture Manga: the Japanese word for comics/cartoons and consists of comics and print cartoons The Compañía de Vinos spends a lot of time in Asia and Japan and have become intrigued by Manga culture.
4. La Sabrosita Garnacha Tinta2010 Grape variety: Garnacha (Fr. Grenache) Young [Joven]; medium-bodied; unoaked Nose Taste
La Sabrosita Garnacha Tinta 2010 A succulent and moreish light wine with inviting flavours of ripe cherries and a hint of spice Fruit flavours dominate rather than flavours from oak Good example of a Joven wine
5. Laderas de El Seque, DOAlicante, 2010 Grape variety: 85% Monastrell [Fr. Mourvèdre], 15% Syrah & Cabernet Sauvignon. Alicante is the homestead of the Monastrell A is thick skinned grape variety. Wine has a powerful smoky aroma and can take on a gamey complexity with age.
Laderas de El Seque, DO Alicante,2010 Colour: Attractive cherry red colour with purple edges. Clean and bright wine. Nose: Intense and juicy ripe red fruit accompanied by creamy spices, light toasted notes and fresh balsamic aromas. Subtle mineral background. Flavour: A soft attack and a long and intense, very tasty and sweet mid-palate. Sweet and creamy notes of fruit with roasted hints. Good acidity confers freshness. It has very noticeable tannins and a long finish.
Ribera del Duero Elevated northern plateau of the Iberian Peninsula at a height of 2800ft (800m) It is divided by the Duero river, which provides the local vineyards with a much-needed water supply. Inland location, coupled with the sheltering effects of nearby mountains, creates an extreme climate- hot and dry summers are followed by harsh winters. High daytime temperatures are combined with considerably cooler nights – a condition which assists in the optimum accumulation of aromas and other chemical compounds (phenolics) in the grapes. Notable and expensive wine - Bodegas Vega Sicilia
6. Momo Vendimia Seleccionada,DO Ribera del Duero 2008 Grape variety: Tinto del pais (aka Tempranillo Crafted by Bodegas Bóhorquez shows the estates stylish balance and intensity at a very affordable price. Now - 2014
Momo Vendimia Seleccionada, DORibera del Duero 2008 Colour: Intense cherry red. Nose: Aroma of forest fruits and seamless integration of oak, which gives it great complexity. Palate: Powerful, complex, accompanied by a refreshing natural acidity and a solid phenolic structure.
DVD Interlude Bodegas MugaThe most traditional Rioja producer 22 minutes
Malolactic fermentation Malic acid Lactic acid + CO2 Reduce acid in red wines and selected white wines by organic rather than chemical means Initiated by lactic acid bacteria, such as Oenococcus oeni Occurs after main fermentation in casks, not bottles
7. Muga Reserva, DOCa, Rioja 2007 Muga, the most traditional of Rioja’s bodegas, with not a stainless steel tank in sight. In-house cooperage which makes the barrels, from a variety of oak sources, which are key to the Muga style. Complex aging process with much racking and fining Grape variety: 75% Tempranillo, 25% Garnacha, Mazuelo (aka Carignan) and Graciano 24 months in oak plus one year in bottle before release
Muga Reserva, DOCa, Rioja2007 Colour: Dark purple, with lighter rim. Nose: Stinky Burgundian nose with a core of leather and spice notes gently backed with vanilla tones. Expansive notes of reduced red berries. Palate: Opulent and layered in the mouth with black cherry fruit of almost syrupy quality. Lots of very fine tannins add support to the fruit and the superbly integrated acidity keeps everything fresh. This is very youthful and absolutely delicious. Drink 2008-2016
8. MR Mountain Wine, DO Malaga,2009 [50cl] Grape variety: Muscat of Alexandria Made by Compania de Vinos Telmo Rodriguez A brightly coloured, lemon-scented sweet dessert wine made from vineyards 700 metres up in the hills behind Málaga. On wine list at El Bulli
MR Mountain Wine, DO Malaga,2009 [50cl] Appearance: Deep yellow-gold. Nose: Ripe peach and nectarine on the nose, with exotic notes of gingerbread and orange marmalade adding complexity. Palate: Sweet, fleshy, expansive fruit nectar flavors are lifted by a gentle minerality.
Today’s winesn Codorniu Seleccion Raventos Brut NV £7.99 *n Torres Viña Esmeralda, DO Penedes, 2010 £7.99 *n Gaba do Xil, Godello, DO Valdeorras, 2010 £8.95 WSn La Sabrosita Garnacha Tinta, DO Navarra 2010 £7.40 MSn Laderas de El Seque, DO Alicante, 2010 £6.95 WSn Momo Vendimia Seleccionada, DO Ribera del Duero 2008 £9.75 WSn Muga Reserva, DOCa, Rioja 2007 £13.50 WSn MR Mountain Wine, DO Malaga, 2009 [50cl] £12.25 WS * Majestic WS Wine Society MS Marks & Spencer
Aroma test Which of today’s wines is this? Think of characteristic aromas!
Best value Which of today’s range offers best value?
Next session Wednesday 16 May 2012 at 2.30pm Nth California & Oregon