• Describe potential causes of fires in LTCFs
• Identify measures that should be taken to
prevent fires in a LTCF
• Identify actions to take when a fire is
• Identify examples of hazardous conditions
that should be reported for correction
• Name devices that are used or activated
when a fire occurs in an LTCF
• Understand proper use of a fire
Causes of Fire in the LTFC
• Smoking/inappropriate use of
matches or lighters
• Misuse of electricity
• Incorrect disposal of trash
• Improper storage of flammable
Common Locations of Fire
• Smoking area
• Waste Baskets
Preventing Fires from Smoking
• Follow smoking rules!
• Supervise residents while smoking.
• Smoke in designated areas only.
• Use large, deep ashtrays
• Empty ashtrays into fire proof
• Use smoker’s apron per
resident plan of care and/or
Preventing Electrical Fires
• Unplug, label items “out of service”
– report to the nurse & maintenance.
• Never use a defective outlet – report!
• Never use frayed cords - report!
• Never use extension cords or
• Do not switch an electric razor off or
on while oxygen is in use.
Preventing Fires from Oxygen
• Open flames or smoking not allowed
in room with oxygen in use.
• Take measures to prevent static
• Electrical safety measures must be
Actions to take when Fire is
• Follow the LTCF’s emergency plan.
– Know floor plan of facility
– Know exit route
– Location of pull box alarm, fire
extinguisher and fire hose
– How to report fire
– Facility plan and the NA’s role in plan
Devices Used or Activated
• Pull Box
• Sprinkler System
• Smoke Detector
• Fire Alarms/Strobe Lights
• Fire Doors
• Fire Extinguishers: ABC
• Never use elevators during fire
• Leave room lights on for better
• Clear hallways of
carts, residents, etc.
• Evacuate ambulatory residents first
• Pull (the pin)
• Aim (at the base of the fire)
• Squeeze (the trigger)
• Sweep (from side to side)