Energy Sector – Oil and
Gas – October 2016
By: Paul Young, CPA, CGA
Paul Young, CPA, CGA – Bio
• CPA, CGA (1996)
• 26+ years in Corporate Finance, Strategy, Risk Management,
Internal Control and Audit, Costing, Process Improvement,
Taxation and Financial Solutions
• 8+ years teaching advance management information system,
advance accounting and public finance
• Oil Rigs
• Commodity Price
• USA Energy Sector
• Canada Energy Sector
• USA Refinery Capacity
• Key Policies
OPEC and Oil Prices
• The U.S. Energy Information Administration on Wednesday said U.S. crude inventories declined by 3 million barrels in the week
ended Sept. 30, falling for the fifth straight week. It was another sign that demand is catching up with the oversupply of crude
that caused prices to collapse in 2014.
• But the OPEC deal took oil-market observers by surprise after two years of indecision from the cartel. Analysts said it raised
the question of whether Saudi Arabia was reversing its policy of fighting for market share in the era of low crude prices.
• According to the people familiar with the matter, Prince Mohammed didn’t authorize a sea change in Saudi Arabia’s market-
share strategy. While Saudi Arabia will take on the bulk of OPEC’s proposed cuts, slashing up to 400,000 barrels a day by the
end of the year, the kingdom was planning to make those cuts anyway, the people said.
• Saudi energy minister Khalid al-Falih could only offer to bring the kingdom down from record highs this summer to more
sustainable levels that were pumped in the spring, the people said.
Source - http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-saudi-royal-sparked-an-opec-deal-and-sent-oil-prices-past-50-1475763151
USA Energy Sector
• Crude and product stocks drop 11 million barrels.
• Product demand and exports spike.
• Trends affected by price expectations prior to OPEC meeting.
• Crude stocks likely to begin building, product stocks to continue
Source - http://seekingalpha.com/article/4010369-u-s-petroleum-
Canada Energy Sector
Source - http://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKCN1251NV
USA Refinery Capacity
Source - http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_unc_dcu_nus_m.htm