Paul N Villarin November 2012www.linkedin.com/in/paulvillarin
This 10 Step Marketing Plan is part of the mandatory requirements of Prof. Remigio Joseph De Ungria’s AGSB marketing management class.The data included in this report are based on publicly available data such as those on internet websites, news, package declarations, public reports.When appropriate, data are “masked” so as not to create unexpected conflicts.The reports are posted and linked on slideshare, blogs and facebook so that there is easier sharing among students from different marketing classes.
SELF is a non-stock, non-government organization dedicated to the treatment and rehabilitation of individuals suffering from substance abuse and other Attitude Disorders. Since its inception in 1992, it has provided residential treatment and rehabilitation services to more than 1000 troubled men and women of varied ages who have been diagnosed with substance and non-substance dependencies. Of those who have completed the program, 85% are living sober and productive lives.
The main treatment and rehabilitation approach used bySELF is called the Therapeutic Community (TC).Developed more than 50 years ago, the TC is one of themost effective behavior modification programs in theworld. It is founded on the Enlightenment Model ofrecovery where individuals living together empower eachother to heal their addiction through insights derived fromgroup processes and Learning Experiences.The SELF TC program utilizes a highly structuredenvironment built around a well-defined Chain ofCommand. Through a rigid schedule of daily activities,residents are closely monitored, evaluated and promotedaccording to their attitudinal development.
The SELF TC operates around a complex system of differentTools of the House that encourages the residents to effectchanges in their behavior. Seminars and workshops areprovided to further encourage them to take a positive viewof life in general.In 2004, SELF improved its program by implementinga Dual Approach Program of Behavior Modificationcomplemented by Clinical Intervention. Since then,incidents of relapse, particularly from clients with multipledisorders, have been remarkably reduced.SELF has been at the forefront in developing rehabtechnology in Asia. It has pioneered unique methods ofintervention which have gained acceptance in the industryboth in the Philippines and parts of Asia.
1. SELF’s PTM are families belonging to class B, A, AA, AAA2. Who demands only the best drug rehabilitation treatment for their loved ones.3. Can choose Seagulls or Rising Phoenix.4. Gap is that all other centers employs only the traditional TC program.5. Market size is 130 million. SELF share is 50 million.
6. SELF has world class facilities, a dual approach program, monthly journals, & high success rate for graduates.7. SELF is priced 20% more than Seagulls and 35% more than Rising Phoenix.8. Uses word of mouth, direct marketing, public relations, events & experiences.9. Has secluded facility and main office in Alabang.10. Uses differentiation approach to win.
Families of social class B, A, AA, AAA within MetroManila and nearby provinces.With loved ones (family members) having substanceabuse problems.
I am a good parent, Self-Actualization spouse, kin, or friend Needs (Self-Development & Realization) Need to be recognized by loved one who is a substance abuser Esteem Needs (Recognition, Status)Need to be loved by loved one who is a substance abuser Social Needs (sense of belonging, love) Wants security and protection forloved one who is a substance abuser Safety Needs (security, protection) Physiological needs (food, water, shelter) Reference: Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs Marketing Management, 11th ed, Philip Kotler
Families of substance abusers desperately needs to feel that they are good parents, spouses, kin, or friend. They need to be recognized for this and to be loved by the substance abuser.They prefer SELF for its world-class facility and its proven dual approach program.They demand only the best for the substance abuser.
Direct: Seagulls and Rising Phoenix (Uses similar TC program)Indirect: Small private therapeutic community, publicrehabsVariables: Price, location, facility, program, programgraduates, website
Price vs. Social ClassPrice/ D C B A AA AAAAgeMatrix SELF SeagullsHighprice Rising Other Phoenix PrivateLow Public RehabsPrice Rehabs
Feature Benefit Positioning vs. Brand Matrix Other Public Private Rising Feature & Benefit Rehabs Rehabs Phoenix Seagulls SELFTC ProgramDOH AccreditationTreatment FacilityWebsiteLifetime SupportInternational AccreditationFamily EmpowermentProgramSeparate Main OfficeClinical Program (DualApproach)85% Success RateMonthly Journals
SELF possess all the features sought for in arehabilitation center.SELF is the center with the promise of a highsuccess rate: 85% of graduates do not relapse (asper 16 year statistics: 1992-2008).Monthly JournalsSELF Dual Approach Program
4. “Positioning”: Brand Identity from theMakerSELF Enhancement for Life Foundation,Rehabilitation and Beyond!Source: http://www.selfoundation.com
Seagulls – 70 heads – 70(0.70) = 49At 50,000 a month for 12 months = P600,000 600,000 (49) = P29,400,000Rising Phoenix – 70 heads – 70(0.70) = 49At 45,000 a month for 12 months = P540,000 540,000 (49) = P26,460,000SELF – 100 heads – 100(0.70) = 70At 60,000 a month for 12 months = P720,000 720,000 (70) = P50,400,000 TOTAL = P106,260,000*Admission rates may vary and are not consistent for every resident. This is normal for the rehab industry since admission rate is dependent on negotiations. The rates shown are the known usual rates as of 2011.
1. SELF admits an around of 70 residents per year. Give or take P60,000/month x 12months = 720,000/year x 70 residents = P50,400,0002. SELF claims the top of mind choice among its main competitors (Seagulls and Rising Phoenix). It claims market share of 40%.3. Total market for social class B, A, AA, AAA is P50,400,000/0.40 = P126 million.
Seagulls has 50 residents at 600,000/year each= P 30 millionRising Phoenix has 50 residents at 540,000/ year each = P 27 millionSELF has 70 residents at 720,000/year each = P 50.4 millionTOTAL = P 107.4 million
1. Competitor data= P 106,260,0002. Company data = P 126,000,0003. Customer Usage data = 107,400,000* Derived conclusion with an upward adjustment of market size considering that small private rehabs of varied rates is estimated to have a market share of 10% most of which are from social class B.
*According to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, a closer look at the profile of drug personalities in 2010 would manifest one social problem in the country - poverty. Based on the data of arrested drug personalities (8259), 58% are underemployed and 21% are unemployed. Underemployment and unemployment are indicators of poverty.Judging from this, social class B, A, AA, AAA only comprises 21% (1,734). 45% of which are from NCR (780). Individuals who are actually brought to treatment is estimated to be 1 out of every 3 or 33% (257).Source: http://pdea.gov.ph
1. SELF possess all the features sought for in a rehabilitation center.2. SELF is the center with the promise of a high success rate: 85% of graduates do not relapse (as per 16 year statistics: 1992-2008).
SELF Dual Approach Program Normally, TC behavior modification approaches claim that if we changed the way one behaves, we’re likely to resolve the dependency issues. In 2004, SELF improved its program by implementing a Dual Approach Program of Behavior Modification complemented by Clinical Intervention. With the incorporation of clinical therapy, clients are now able to reap the full benefit of holistic care as they receive individual and group counseling, family therapy, medical and mental health services which may be required by the client.
Through this approach, SELF can also address co- occurring (concurrent) mental/psychiatric and substance- related disorders through a multi-dimensional approach of biological (pharmacologic), psychological (counseling & therapy), social (peer-based influences) and spiritual formation.Source: http://www.selfoundation.com
Seagulls Village – P50,000/monthRising Phoenix – P45,000/monthSELF – P60,000/monthThe market, social class B, A, AA, AAA has the capacity to pay. Taking from the PTM’s NWD, they want only the best. SELF differentiation approach allows it to charge higher rates (Competitive Advantage, Porter, M.E., 1985)
1. Word of Mouth2. Direct Marketing3. Public Relations4. Events and Experiences
Reedley International Drug Symposium I Quezon City, March 14, 2011SELF participated in a drug symposium at the Reedley International School in Quezon City on March14. In a forum entitled “reel Vs. real”, SELF President Martin r. Infante presented a seminar entitled “NoTo Friend — Learning About Addiction and How to Avoid Falling Prey to Dependent Behavior. Hetalked about the myths of addiction and associated physical and psychological challenges. He alsoprovided valuable tips for teen-age healthy living and how to build trust in families. Three reentryresidents followed and took turns sharing their life stories to an eager crowd of 1st and 2nd year highschool students. Photo shows the SELF team (from left) Tony, Gie, Allysa and Martin holding up twoposters drawn by the students as their token of appreciation, with Reedley Teacher Jotham Manlapazand a few of the students.
Rehabilitation centers are usually located far from theMetro. In order to make SELF accessible, it has aseparate office in the Madrigal Business Park inAlabang. These makes personal and phone inquirieseasier. Rising Phoenix and Seagulls Village also haveseparate offices and are also in Madrigal Business Park.
SELF’s main strategy is differentiation Social class B, A, AA, AAA has the capacity to pay. With the PTM’s NWD of wanting only the best treatment for their loved one, low cost as a strategy is not as dominant.SELF has a more informative website relative to the competition.Has a bigger and more developed facility.
SELF benefits from its industry leading success rate of 85% for the graduates of its program.Publishes monthly journals for distribution which promises better reach to potential clients.SELF differentiates further from the competition through its integrated dual approach program.
1. SELF’s PTM are families belonging to class B, A, AA, AAA2. Who demands only the best drug rehabilitation treatment for their loved ones.3. Can choose Seagulls or Rising Phoenix4. Gap is all other centers employ only the traditional TC program.5. Market size is 130 million. SELF share is 50 million.
6. SELF has world class facilities, dual approach program, monthly journals, & high success rate for graduates.7. SELF is priced 20% more than Seagulls and 35% more than Rising Phoenix.8. Uses word of mouth, direct marketing, public relations, events & experiences.9. Has secluded facility and main office in Alabang.10. Uses differentiation approach to win.
Paul N Villarin November 2012www.linkedin.com/in/paulvillarin