Experienced Manager/Director, expert at growing retail & service brands nationally and internationally.
• Hands-on style, with change management, project management and trouble-shooting capabilities.
• Experienced brand marketing manager, with particular experience in direct response marketing, print
media and on line strategies.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to increase efﬁciency, productivity and
• All aspects of ﬁnancial control, including business planning, budgets and targets.
• Skilled in Franchisee/Symbol recruitment, training/development and passionate in promoting a ethical
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, inﬂuencing and negotiating skills. Ability to inﬂuence at senior
levels including serving on the main board.
• Results & proﬁts orientated. Quality driven and customer focused.
• Self-starter, with energy and enthusiasm to succeed. Proactive.
• Highly Computer literate: Ofﬁce, Publisher, Project, Accounting etc.
Paul Owen Spiller
Address: 6 Littlepace Meadows, Clonee, Dublin 15
Tel: 00353 (1) 826 3919 / 00353 (0)86 786 2940
Date of Birth: 06.01.67
Nationality: Dual British/Irish
Driving Licence: Full & Clean
Symbol Group Manager/Franchise Manager, Uniphar Group PLC. (Jun 2012 – March 2016)
Leading Irish Pharmaceutical Distribution and Services Organisation €1.2billion t/o)
• Responsible for the development of the Life Pharmacy retail chain and brand.
• Redesign of the business model from a franchise structure, into a symbol group format.
• Main board director of the newly formed “Life Pharmacy PLC”
• Overseen growth from 6 sites to over 60 locations by Year end 2015
• Development plan in place to reach 150 locations
• Commissioned team training systems for retail staff and management
• Implemented Business Intelligence Systems delivering immediate proﬁt improvement at site level.
• Responsible for marketing of the consumer brand across multiple channels (Broadcast Media, Online/
social, Direct response, both print and digital).
• Management of a €1million annual marketing budget
• Instigating systemised and documented standards development
• Harnessing internal and external partners to deliver rapid results in a cost effective/ﬂexible manner
International Franchise Management Consultants (IFMC), (Mar 2005 – Jun 2012)
Professional Franchise Business Consultancy Services
Director (Mar 2005 – Jun 2012)
• Expert Franchise Development and Design Services to Business.
• Outsource Franchise Management service provider
• Recruitment Planning and Implementation for Franchise Growth.
• Contract Formulation and Subsequent Negotiation.
• Franchise Training Services Design and Implementation.
• International Market Entry Feasibility Studies.
• Business Financial Revue and Forecasting.
• Resident (P/T Contract) Lecturer/Mentor in Franchising at the Limerick Institute of Technology, Irish
National Franchising Centre.
• Active member of the Irish Franchise Association
• Guided a small regional business to become a nationwide multi location national franchise brand in 18
• Created a highly successful integrated niche marketing strategy, implementing and testing this across
• Accessed Enterprise Ireland ﬁnancial support for international franchise feasibility studies on behalf of
EASYGROUP- EASYINTERNETCAFÉ Mar 1999 – Mar 2005
Revolutionary large format Internet café chain
Franchise Sales/Operations Manager - Europe (Mar 2002 – Mar 2005)
• Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer
• Recruitment and ongoing management of International franchise partners.
• Negotiation with national high street beverage brands for franchise implant units.
• Implementation and management of the store franchise proposition.
• Franchisee, business plan review and approval.
• New sites, review and approval.
• Franchisee planning and implementing new store fit out assistance.
• Local marketing plan creation and budgeting.
• Communication of easyGroup brand values.
• Established web based lead qualification systems, integrated with a web based CRM system.
• Organised and implemented recruitment drives via the key National franchise exhibitions, franchise
press, online media and localised evening seminars
• Integrated 3rd party businesses into over-footage existing stores, resulting in a net increase in
Central & Franchise Operations Manager (Mar 2000 – Mar 2002)
• Development and implementation of the company franchise proposition.
• Creation and maintenance of Operation Manual and documentation
• Devise, implement, manage and develop effective store operating procedures and systems to drive the
business forward within an international environment.
• Project management, through whole cycle from inception to implementation and review, using the
latest professional software tools.
• Implementation and management of the store franchise network.
• Full control of IT systems, including a bespoke EPOS /HR / Store Management Systems (design, testing,
approval and implementation).
• Source and implement a range of “easy” branded peripherals across the chain.
• Interdepartmental communications.
• Supplier management, with full negotiating & purchasing responsibility to achieve defined stock
holding and margin targets
• Successfully managed a period of rapid expansion across 8 countries in 2 continents (UK, France, Spain,
Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium and USA).
• Worked successfully with blue chip contractors (Hewlett Packard, Microsoft and Samsung) and a range
of regional suppliers.
• Designed and implemented the company operations manuals (web and hard copy).
• Supervised the production and implementation of store staff/management training packages. Sourced,
developed and integrated multi-national, multi-site, web-based HR and TA systems.
Store Manager (Mar 1999 – Mar 2000)
• Set up and establish the company’s first store.
• Devise, implement and develop effective operations procedures and systems for cash handling,
customer service, payroll, Health & Safety, staff planning and management.
• Recruit, train/develop, motivate and manage team.
• Assist in the design and testing of unique store management software.
• Advise on purchase of an EPOS system and training programme.
• Successfully opened first store (London Victoria) in a blaze of media publicity.
• Promoted to Central Operations Manager.
WOOLWORTHS PLC May 1986 - Feb 1999
High Street Variety Retail Department Store Chain
General Manager various locations
• Manage store departments to maximise sales & profitability and minimise costs.
• Visual merchandising, display and product presentation.
• Operational controls and security. Stock control and availability via EPOS.
• Optimise customer service and satisfaction.
• Recruit, develop, motivate and manage teams
• As District Training Manager, devise and implement training for staff and management for 16 stores.
• Consistently exceeded annual budgeted profit expectations.
• Managed major store closure and refurbishments.
• Achieved No 1 position in company (800 stores) for Customer Service.
• Member of HO team revising Mystery Shopper and Customer Service Programs.
• Successfully developed staff to management positions.
• Rolled out new integrated staff training package across a large store base.
REFERENCES: AVAILABLE ON REQUEST