Agile, DevOps & Business Agility!
People and careers-paths
Technologies and change tolerance
Processes and business/corporate predictability
The Business Benefiting S-Curve
By Paul Peissner
Software-Driven Business Agility (DevOps Maturity)
People and careers-paths – Software teams
• People are by their very nature, change resistant
• The right culture can be fun and market competitive
• The new norm…is constant change…
• Be ready to learn, adapt and adjust
Not every organization can or should
adopt agile. But agile, in what ever
form that is appropriate for a business,
organizational structure or team, is
now the new development standard.
People and careers-paths – Business teams
• Blend cross-discipline teams and integrate silo functions
• Invest in careers: education, training and mentoring
• Reconsider incentives that better align teams
• Culture can be a strategic advantage!
The collapse of the Dev/QA silos and
segmented Dev technologies, makes
more sense to integrate, automate and
collaborate as project scopes get
smaller and project cycles get shorter.
Technologies and change tolerance – Software teams
As the project cadences speed-up, the
Operations and production teams need
to adjust established change patterns
and expectations; and explore the
benefits of innovative new technology.
• Explore simplification and the modern innovative tools
• Create a culture that explores and experiments
• Get out of the legacy box and manual routines
• Collaborate to challenge the status quo
Technologies and change tolerance – Business teams
• Cost of Change (it’s painful to disrupt organizational patterns)
• Cost of Not Changing (the fastest way to obsolescence)
• Invest in people and the changes they recommend
• Reward the right kind of team behaviors
As agile, automation, Cloud, mobile
and new technologies bypass complex
systems, org. bureaucracy and legacy
tools, it becomes critical for DevOps
and cross-discipline collaboration.
Processes and corporate predictability – Software teams
• More visibility, access and automation for daily contributors
• Full-service development, Self-service tools & Feedback loops
• Embrace the powerful “flat or lean” models
The new collaborative technology
culture, will quickly find innovative
ways to improve practices, decision-
making and adopt new technologies
that increase efficiencies and reliability.
The efficiencies of the software
practices will require more feedback
loops to effectively measure and
quickly improve development efforts,
product quality and market relevance.
Processes and business predictability – Business teams
• Continuous leaning (internal & external) and adapt quickly
• Your Team/Processes are your competitive-edge and a source
of innovative differentiation
Invest along the way…
• Address the needs of each stage
• Invest in the people and the culture
• Invest in technology and processes
• Focus on business agility!
Rediscover your inner start-up!
Software-Driven Business Agility – The Maturity S-Curve
What Is Your Next Stage to invest in?
Happy to discuss…
Paul (at) Peissner (dot) com