Political Innovation day:
How it works
What is an Unconference?
It’s just like an ordinary conference, except…
• There are (almost) no scheduled speakers
• There is (almost) no pre-prepared agenda
• You can propose and host your own sessions
• It’s ‘in the round’ rather that ‘Proscenium
Arch’ – everybody gets a chance to speak and
• It’s free to attend
What to bring?
• There will be free secure wireless on the day
• Bring a laptop if you like – each session would
benefit from a blogger being there
• Bring recording equipment – camera / video /
• Bring your phone – use the #picamp hashtag on
• Bring your tat as well – promotional stuff you
want to give away – pens, notepads, those logo-
loved stress-balls, USB keys, post-it pads etc.
What is Political Innovation?
A series of practical events at which people with
ideas on political innovations can meet up with
• technical experts,
and others with an interest in politics and public
affairs to grow and promote innovative projects
Want to do a session on the day?
• Firstly, throw your idea into our forum now to
see if there’s any interest?
(there are forums for both events there)
• Come along on the day and pitch the idea to
• Attend, introduce, chair, and (ideally) blog
your session afterwards
• If you propose a session – do please turn up to it (but see below)
• If a session does run – can someone record it in some way to share later?
Please link to anything you publish on Twitter using the #picamp hashtag.
• Include everyone (the law of “two ears and one mouth”).
• If you find yourself in a session, and you’re not learning or sharing – just
leave and find somewhere where you can. (the “law of two feet”, and no-
one will be offended.)
• If there’s only two of you in a session and you’re learning and sharing –
that’s fine. (However many people are in a session is the right number.)
• Try to avoid being a ‘seminar’: The best sessions are the ones that spark
ongoing action. Try and leave enough time at the end for summarising
and organising this.
• Please avoid party-political soapboxing.
How are sessions scheduled?
The opening session will
allow everyone the
opportunity to give
• a quick personal intro
• propose sessions that
they want to host
The rest is a bit of a
scramble with post-it