Apps for brands:
10 habits for success
Apps for media brands
• What are the habits that lead to success?
– How to execute a successful strategy
• Do I need to build an App?
– App Development vs HTML 5
Mobile IQ qualifications?
• Delivering mobile web
solutions for over five
• From The Guardian to
• Developed apps for
• 100’s of millions of PI’s
• 3+ million app users
#1 – Proceed with caution
Users take no prisoners – negative voices always more vocal
A “2 star” rating is bad for brand – just ‘being’ in the store is not good enough
#2 – Avoid bumps with a clear objective
Prepare a business plan – or at least an elevator pitch
Do your homework – what are other competitive apps doing?
#3 – Select the right platform
Remember your target market – they may have a device preference
Launching cross-platform is tough – get the order right
Case study: BBC News App
• BBC iOS app (iPhone & iPad)
– Over 2 million downloads
– 44% of users use the app every
– 70% of users use the app every 3
– #1 free app in the UK App Store
– #1 news app in 16 countries, top
10 in 62