-Mexico is the most populated Spanish speaking
country in the world
- Mexico has a population of over 120 million
-It offers a large market with a GDP of approximately $1.33
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA),
which was enacted in 1994 and created a free trade zone
for Mexico, Canada, and the United States, is the most
important feature in the U.S.-Mexico bilateral
-Mexico is the United States’ 3rd largest trading partner
and 2nd largest export market for U.S. products.
- A B U N D A N T M A R K E T
O P P O R T U N I T I E S F O R U . S . F I R M S
E X I S T I N M E X I C O ; T R A D E I N
G O O D S A N D S E R V I C E S T O T A L S
A L M O S T $ 1 . 5 B I L L I O N A D A Y
B E T W E E N T H E T W O C O U N T R I E S .
- Some of Mexico’s most promising sectors include:
agriculture; agribusiness; auto parts & services;
education services; energy; environmental;
franchising; housing & construction; packaging
equipment; plastics and resins; security & safety
equipment and services; technology sectors;
transportation infrastructure equipment and
services; and travel & tourism services.
- To do business in Mexico it is key to develop
and maintain close relationships with clients and
To do business in Mexico
- Mexican companies are extremely price conscious, seek
financing options, tend to desire exclusive agreements, and
value outstanding service and flexibility.
- Mexicans prefer direct communication such as
telephone calls or face-to-face meetings. However,
e-mail is widely used.
- Mexicans dress as meticulously as
possible, regardless of social class and
- In Mexican business culture, most men
wear conservative suits and ties in dark
- In some sectors, most notably high-tech
industries, junior executives may dress
more casually or less expensively.
- in Mexico femininity is strongly
encouraged in women’s professional
- Standard office attire for women
includes dresses, skirted suits, or
skirts with blouses.
- In casual settings, women usually
wear a skirt or a pair of stylish pants.
women in Mexico dress to accentuate
their feminine attributes, and usually
wear more make-up than their US
- Unlike in some working cultures, wher
e one is often judged by the strength of
one’s handshake, in Mexico a moderately
firm grip will suffice.
- keep in mind that Mexican men are
friendly, and will often initiate physical
H A N D S H A K E S
- After a handshake they will usually
exchange an abrazo, a kind of bear-hug
with several hearty pats on the back.
- Withdrawing from an abrazo or a
physically affectionate gesture is
- Women will often pat each other on the
forearm or shoulder, and if they are
particularly close, they will hug or kiss each
other on the cheek.
- Also, courtesy dictates that women initiate
handshakes with their male
counterparts.Withdrawing from an abrazo or
a physically affectionate gesture is