Wikipedia at schools
The Catalan experience
Joan R. Gomà / Pau Cabot
Marató Viquipèdia (Catalonia)
- Collaboration with the Catalonia
- Celebrating the Internet Day
- Aim: Reaching 100k articles in the
Background of the promoters.
- User:Antoni Salvà
With the support of Amical Viquipèdia
Viquibalear: the project
- Target: secondary school pupils
from the Balearic Islands.
- Agreement with Balearic
Government, specifically with the
- Viquibalear.CAT as a sandbox
- Moodle course for teachers (and
- Contest for students
Viquibalear: In figures
- 13 teachers from 12 high schools from all four islands
- 160 pupils
- 601 new articles
- 472 reviewed articles moved to catalan wikipedia
- 3 teachers during the Moodle course
- 5 administrators on the sandbox web (the three
teachers and two volunteers)
- 30 ipods, 3 netbooks and 6 sets of books given as
Agreement with Balearic
- Agreement with the education department of the
autonomous government of the Balearic Islands.
- Direct contact with the General Manager of educational
innovation and teacher training.
- Problems with the lack of an organization. Amical
Viquibalear.cat: a sandbox
Viquibalear.cat - Google Translate
- Articles of any kind of theme
- Same syntax as in Wikipedia: Mediawiki
Why a parallel wiki?
- Controlled environment, out of the Wikipedia
- Easier to evaluate pupils work.
- This sandbox serves as a filter to avoid more work to
- One article counts for the contest only if it has been
reviewed and approved by one of the three teachers-
Contest for students
- Group with articles moved to
- Best article.
- Best article improvement.
- Best teacher.
- Pupil with more articles moved
- Pupil with more Balearic-
related articles moved to
- Create chat sessions to help teachers and students
- Minor improvements in organization; timing,
awards, number of participants ...
- Direct access to Commons multimedia files
- Enable latex math formulas
- Install cite extension
- Create a tool to count articles and automatically
generate the classification.
Awards ceremony and
Planned calendar: From
Viquibalear to Viquiescoles
Next years: Project in different
countries and languages
Schools from more countries
Balearic Islands +
Articles in more languages
On the long term
- Possible Comenius project
- Participation of schools not only from more
countries but also with students without catalan
as a common mother tongue.
- Sustainability of the system as Wikipedia
Possible Comenius project
- Minimum 3 organizations from 3 eligible
countries idealy more.
- Wikimedia XX + 2 schools from each country.
- Period 2 years 2012 and 2013
- Expected opening for the call: October 2010
- 2012: - Collect best practices (like Viquibalear)
- Create methodology
- Develop learning materials for teachers
- 2013: - Test courses and methodology.
- Disseminate results
- Budget : 360.000€
- UE expected financing : 270.000€
Students without catalan as a
To be adressed at Comenius
- Use english as lingua franca.
- Hold several subprojects and keep
the coordination among them
Sustainability as wikipedia grows
Less topics free to create new
Less opportunities to improve
- More emphasis in searching understanding and
- More activities in the sandbox wiki
- Always will be opportunities to improve
- Wikipedia is a phenomena that impacts at schools and has to
be taken into account by professors.
- Learning to use Wikipedia as readers in a pasive way is a
must for students.
- Participating in building Wikipedia has huge advantages in
- The environtment and methodology are important to suceed
in proffiting from those advantages.
- We expect that multilingualism will be a plus to the whole
- Solutions to be explored in order to keep this advantages as
firstname.lastname@example.org and open discussion...