What is a brand?
• A brand is a customer’s gut feeling about a
product, service or company.
• It is not what you say it is. It is what THEY say
• A charismatic brand is a brand for which
people believe there is no substitute.
A couple more definitions
• Branding is the discipline of empowering a
company’s product or service with the
essence of the brand
• Brand equity is the added value endowed on a
product or service, which may be reflected in
the way consumers think, feel and act with
respect to the brand
The 10 Most Valuable Brands*
Brand 2010 Brand Value (Billions)
The Brand Promise
Building brand equity starts with the identification
of a brand promise or mantra
A brand promise is a short 3-5 word expression
of the most important aspects of the brand and
its core values (e.g., “serve the athlete”)
Who are we?
What do we do?
Why does it matter?
Building Brand Equity
Brand equity is created through the generation of awareness
and positive associations in the minds of consumers
Brand elements (logo, slogans, names, URLs, symbols,
• Can you hear me
• Like a good
Farm is there
• Just do it
• Zoom Zoom
• We try harder
• We’ll pick you up
• This Bud’s for you
• Save 15% or more
in 15 minutes or
• Nothing runs like a
• Different media have different strengths and
advantages within a campaign’s media mix
and, thus, should be integrated in a way that
most effectively delivers on the objectives of
• The result is a consistent voice
• The following eight media/tactics can help in
orchestrating an integrated branding campaign:
– direct marketing
– new media
– public relations
• More about these later!
– sales promotion
– sponsorships/event marketing
interaction is an
opportunity to generate
brand awareness and