LAVANYA K S (21)
NIVEDITHA SUDARSANAN (28)
PARVATHY S M (29)
ROMINI YESUDAS (35)
Project Assisted By Project Guided By
DHANYA M AJITH .A
Asst. Prof in ECE Asst. Prof in ECE
Asst. Prof in ECE
• Today, technology has become an integrated part of people’s
lives. It has, and continues to influence many aspects of daily
life and has allowed better social interaction, ease of
• Home automation or sensible home may be delineated as
introduction of technology within the home atmosphere to
provide ease and protection to its occupants.
• By using the technology of the Internet of Things, the
examination and execution of home automation have got
WHY SMART HOME?
• Smart Home is Applicable in various aspect of our home and
environment to suite our different preferences
• Comfort or Ease of Control
• Convenience all time
• Life time personalization
• User friendly
• The work of John J. Greichen discussed
challenges faced by home automation systems
include high manufacturing costs, high
• Kelly, Sean Dieter Tebje, Nagender Kumar
Suryadevara, and Subhas Chandra
Mukhopadhyay. "Towards the implementation
of IoT for environmental condition monitoring
• The physical layer consists of the devices which are to be controlled.
• The data link layer consist of IoT gateway router, device manager and
various communication protocols.
• The raspberry pi is used as the IoT gateway which communicates to
personal computer or smart phone by means internet in the network and
• The application and presentation layer consist of web portal which is
nothing but designing a web page by which we can control the various
• The appliances can also be controlled by creating an app in mobile phone
which is similar to web portal.
• From the raspberry pi, by means of wifi configuration and IoT
concept we can turn ON/OFF the light by using the relay.
• Relays are switches that open and close circuits
electromechanically or electronically.,
• The PIR sensor is used to detect the human being presence
and sent messages in any case of there is a theft
• The lights and fans can be controlled by creating web server in
personal computer, tablet or we can create an app in mobile.
• The Internet of things (IoTs) can be defined as connecting the
various types of objects like smart phones, personal computer and
Tablets to internet.
• The aim of the IoT is that enable things to be connected any
time, any where with any thing and anyone
• IoT brings in very new fangled type of communication between
things and people and also between things.
• With the introduction of IoTs, the research and development of
home automation are becoming popular in the recent days.
• IoTs technology is used to come in with innovative idea and
great growth for smart homes to improve the living standards
• The IoT-based architecture provides high-level flexibility at
the communication and information.
• It is an approach which is relevant in many different
environments such as patient monitoring system, security,
traffic signal control or controlling various applications.
• The Raspberry Pi is a low cost credit card size single board computer
developed by raspberry pi foundation.
Raspberry pi is controlled by a modified version of Debian Linux .
The core of the home automation system is this minicomputer.
Several generations of Raspberry Pis have been released.
Here we are using model raspberry pi 3.
• 1GB RAM
• 4 USB ports
• Consist of 40 pins
• Full HDMI port
• Ethernet port
• Camera interface (CSI)
• Display interface (DSI)
• Micro SD card slot
• Raspbian is the computer operating
system used for Raspberry Pi.
• It is a debian based computer operating system
• It is also called Noobs OS.
• This OS can be downloaded from the website
• Python is a widely used high-level programming language for
general purpose programming.
• It has wide range of applications from Web development ,
scientific and mathematical computing to desktop graphical
• Python allows you to write programs having greater
functionality with fewer lines of code.
• Calibrated directly in centigrade
• Linear +10 mV/⁰Cscale factor
proportional to the Centigrade
• Ensured accuracy(at+25⁰C)
• Suitable for remote applications
• Less than 60µA Current drain
• Operates from 4to 30v
• Low self heating capability
• Low impedance output
• A relay is an electrically operated switch
• control high-current AC loads from lower voltage DC control
• switched by a much lower voltage and at a much lower
current than most mechanical relays.
• Trigger Current: 7.5mA/12V
• Control Voltage: 24-380V AC
• Input Voltage: 3-32V DC
• Zero Cross trigger method
• High sensitivity to LPG, iso-butane, propane
• Small sensitivity to alcohol, smoke.
• Fast response .
• Stable and long life
• Simple drive circuit
• Resistance value of MQ-6 is difference to various kinds
and various concentration gases
• calibrate the detector for 1000ppm of LPG concentration in air
• Load resistance ( RL) about 20KΩ(10KΩ to 47KΩ).
• When accurately measuring, the proper alarm point for the gas detector
should be determined after considering the temperature and humidity
• The sensor requires two voltage inputs: heater voltage (VH) and circuit
• VH is used to supply standard working temperature to the sensor and it can adopt
DC or AC power,
• VRL is the voltage of load resistance RL which is in series with sensor.
• Vc supplies the detect voltage to load resistance RL and it should adopts DC power
• A device used to detect motion by receiving infrared radiation.
• They are small, inexpensive, low-power, easy to use
• PIRs are basically made of a pyroelectric sensor, which can detect
levels of infrared radiation
• Along with the pyroelectic sensor is a bunch of supporting circuitry,
resistors and capacitors
• . This chip takes the output of the sensor and does some minor
processing on it to emit a digital output pulse from the analog
• Digital pulse high (3V) when triggered (motion detected) digital low when
idle (no motion detected).
• Pulse lengths are determined by resistors and capacitors on the PCB and
differ from sensor to sensor.
• Sensitivity range: up to 20 feet (6 meters) 110° x 70° detection range
• Power supply: 5V-12V input voltage for most modules
• A radio technology that networks the devices
• Refers to wireless LAN products based on the IEEE802.11g specification
• Provides easy connections to the internet and buisness networks while
• The main attractive feature of this technology is that it can provide
wireless broad band connection within a specific geographic boundary
• A Wi-Fi hot spot is created by installing an access point to an internet
• An access point acts as abase station
• When Wi-Fi enabled device encounters a hotspots the device can then
connect to that network wirelessly
• A single access point can support up to 30 users and can function within a
range of 100-150 feet indoors and up to 300 feet out doors
• The MCP3008 is a 10bit 8-channel Analogue-to-digital
• It is cheap, easy to connect and doesn’t require any
• It uses the SPI bus protocol which is supported by the Pi’s
• Various applications located at home can be
• information are stored in embedded system
• Such type of web servers are called embedded
• we will use the Raspberry Pi to induce the
information from servers
• Raspberry pi also can serve sound, video,
• the user will see and act with.
• the android enabled phone makes control
• provides a range of pre-build program parts
• provides other User interface modules
• enable the user to look at the device status
• Programmatically control devices
• Better scalability and security
• Energy saving
• Improved comfort and safe
• High cost
• Damage of cable affect entire system
• Signal receiving problem
• Human error occur
• Huge system crash
• Controlling various household devices of
house with internet
• Industrial automation and management
• machine-driven fireplace exit systems
• improvement of security problems in
extremely restricted areas.
• we have introduced the event of a home
• security system exploitation using Raspberry
pi and IoT
• The system is suitable for remotely controlling
the home appliances .
• The system may be employed in many places
like banks, hospitals etc