November 10, 2014 Parkmerced Transition and Vision Update
RESIDENT MEETING 10 NOV 2014
MANAGEMENT TRANSITION AND VISION UPDATE
6:00 PM Welcome and Introductions
6:05 PM Sutro Management Group
6:30 PM Parkmerced Vision: Development Application I
Rogelio Foronda, Jr.
7:00 PM Q&A
7:40 PM Next Steps and Closing
Chris Bricker and Bert Polacci
7:45 PM End of the Night
SUTRO MANAGEMENT GROUP LTD.
VPM, DIRECTOR OF FACILITIES
VPM, DEPARTMENT MANGER
Goals and Strategies
Improved Buildings Standards
Better Response Time and Communication
Tower Building Improvements
Lobby Seating Reupholster
Garden Building Improvements
Cleaning Building Facades
Parking (Removal of non-operational vehicles)
Main Office Renovation
Leasing Office and Resident Services Improvements
in design phase to be completed first quarter 2015.
Rogelio Foronda, Jr.
VICE PRESIDENT OF DEVELOPMENT
SENIOR DESIGN DIRECTOR
Timeline to Date
• Over 550 public meetings held with residents, neighbors, and stakeholders
• Meetings, hearings, presentations with local and state public agencies
• Project Approved by San Francisco Planning Department: February 10, 2011
• Project Approved by San Francisco Board of Supervisors: May 24, 2011
• Development Agreement Effective: July 9, 2011
• Long Term Existing Tenant Notices sent out following Development Agreement Effective Date (July 8, 2011)
• 10+ year residents provided non-binding preference to locate into a Interim Replacement Unit
• Coordinate with SFCTA and SFMTA to implement Tier V transportation improvement
• September: Development Phase Application I Submitted to Planning
• Anticipated Development Phase Application Approval
• Parkmerced Resident Meeting
• Present Development Phase Application as Approved
• Discuss Tenant Relocation Plan for Residents in To-Be-Replaced Units
• Tenant Relocation Packets mailed to Residents in To-Be-Replaced Units
• Seek SF Planning Approvals
• Seek Building Permit Approvals
• Winter 2015: Break Ground on Subphase A (~18-24 month construction)
• Spring 2016: Break Ground on Subphase B (~18-24 month construction)
Adopted Plan Documents
Vision Plan Design Standards & Guidelines Transportation Plan Sustainability Plan
Infrastructure Report Development Agreement
Visit parkmercedvision.com for a link to SF Planning’s Parkmerced Project Website
Hard Copies Available to Review in Parkmerced Resident Services
• All new appliances & fixtures
including dishwasher and
• Lower utility bills
• More comfort due to well insulated
walls & windows
• Meet or exceed all updated code
and seismic requirements
• All existing residents who live in a building slated for replacement (all 1,538
replaced town homes) will be provided a brand new unit at the Same Rent-
Controlled Rate as their existing apartment at the time of relocation.
• All existing residents who live in a high rise building slated for renovation (all
1,683 units to remain) will maintain their same rent-controlled rate
• Similar in size, both home and
• Same number of bedrooms &
• Choice of locations
• Improved accessibility
• Maintain same pet, parking and
• Only one move necessary
Owner’s Pledge to the Residents
Parkmerced will keep you informed throughout the redevelopment.
• Learn your tentative moving timeline
• Receive a copy of the Resident
• Learn about the construction timeline
• View a project map
• View floor plans of the new units and
• Confirm your seniority for the Unit
• Receive Rent Board information on
your rights as a renter
• Receive notice that your unit is move-in
• Work with Parkmerced to finalize a
Moving Day date that works for you
• Receive free moving services
• Settle in to your new unit!
Unit Availability Notice
• Begin the Unit Selection Process
• Be invited to multiple Open Houses so
that you can see a sample unit and pick
your preferred unit layout
• Rank your preferred replacement units
for Unit Selection
Selection of Replacement Unit
• Receive results of the Unit Selection
• Find out your future unit and address
• Confirm that you plan to move into the
2+ years before
your moving day
6+ months before
your moving day
Parkmerced will provide multiple written notices to keep residents informed of the relocation timeline.
Unit Selection Process
Patios/balconies: Renters that
currently have a patio or balcony
will have priority in selecting
new patio or balcony units, but
Parkmerced cannot guarantee
this amenity in a new unit. The
City has agreed that the benefit
of the new, usable open space
and the addition of a washing
machine, dryer and dishwasher
in the new units are an
equivalent benefit to a patio or
balcony in an existing unit.
Existing garden unit residents will receive an equivalent new unit at their existing rent.
Unit size: Renters will be moved
to a unit of equivalent or larger
average size of the same type as
their existing unit.
Amenities: All replacement
units will feature a washing
machine, dryer and
Parking: You will retain
your current parking rights.
However, parking may be
further from your unit.
The Unit Selection Process will be based on renter unit preferences and renter seniority.
Renter seniority is defined by the duration of the tenant’s current rental history with Parkmerced.
open house tours
referring to site
based on resident
seniority for each
of their new unit
confirm that they
want to move
into the new unit
Usable outdoor space
6+ months before your
Residents will have a choice of new units. Unit selection will be based on seniority.
New Home. Same Rent.
• Parkmerced will pay for moving services and moving costs.
• Resident rent and rent control status will not change.
• The rent control agreement will be enforceable by the City.
• A new security deposit will not be required.
• Resident leases of new units will be subject to the same terms
and protections of the Rent Ordinance.
• Parkmerced will not pass through any construction costs.
• Create a vibrant neighborhood for our residents and the
• Use smart design and planning to reduce Parkmerced and San
Francisco's impact on the environment.
• Protect our residents and provide any who live in apartments
slated for replacement with new onsite apartments at the same
rent-controlled rate of their existing units.
• Make Parkmerced an international model of 21st century urban
New units will feature a dishwasher, in-unit
washing machine and dryer, and increased
comfort due to better insulation, new
kitchen and new bathroom.
Residents will receive a new home for the same rent.
Parkmerced is committed to protecting its residents.
Parkmerced will pay for moving services and help you on your moving day.
Phase 1 Plan
Existing Towers to Remain
Galindo and Felix Garages Replaced
66 (Ph 2)
100 (Ph 2)
(E) Block 19/37W
Existing Block 37W
Existing Block 19
A Look Ahead
Anticipated Development Application Approval
Resident Meeting: Approvals and Tenant Relocation Plan
Tenant Relocation Plan mailed to To-Be-Replaced Residences
Seek Planning Department Approvals
Seek Building Permit Approvals
Break Ground on Subphases A (Completion ~Spring 2017)
Break Ground on Subphase B (Completion ~Summer 2017)