Indeed I recently changed the category on my blog posts from novice to intermediate ‘interwebs rambler’When @podnoshios your little brother – as he is mine, you get a chance to learn pretty quickly...
Fazeley Mind Map @parboo (aka Jaki)
• different reasons why people chose to use
• why it works/doesn’t work in certain
• how different types of people could use it
• I come here as a novice amongst the
• In my day job I am General Manager
• I realise I am not actually a complete novice
in the world of social media
• But I’m most certainly not an expert
• So, I will speak as I have found...
• Joined Twitter
– late October 2008
• Began Blogging
– 14 Nov 2008 on www.parboo.wordpress.com
– Started bins on 20 November 2008 @ 12.14pm
• Attended Bloggers Meet – December 2008
• Created Snow Cock Hunt on 5 Feb 2009
• It’s very parent friendly – it gave me a social life
from my living room
• I get to hang out with clever folk
• I learn - about Birmingham, work & nonsense
• I’ve met new people and made good friends
• I have found a community of do-ers
• It’s a great leveller
• I got hooked
• You can chat to someone for hours and not have a
clue who they are when you meet them
• Explaining it to the uninitiated – it feels like a cult
• Hanging out with these pros is not where I’m at
– I didn’t learn Excel by chatting to the MS staff
– This is a tool not my living
– I still don’t really get what a meme or permalink is...
• Carrying a bin reputation around with me
• What did I do before?
• I think it works best when there is a
• It works even better when you meet people
• It works least well when there is a one-sided
– That’s a big shift for most organisations
• It works when there is trust
• What does not work look like?
– Sometimes I send out a message and get
– Sometimes I talk nonsense in public ...
– Sometimes no-one views my blog posts
• It can’t replace face to face meeting
• For the shy, or uninvited?
• Celebrating Birmingham Women
– My blog about Brummie Women
– and a new interest in local social history
• WxWM – we just did it!
• Making Friends
– graphiquillan you made this possible for me