What is Religion???
Religion is a collection of:– belief systems
– cultural systems
– world views that relate humanity to
• moral values
A global 2012 poll reports that 59% of the world's
population is religious, 23% are not religious, and
13% are atheists.
• Many religions have:– narratives
– sacred histories
that are intended to give meaning to life or to explain the
origin of life or the Universe.
• Religion tend to derive:– morality
– religious laws
– a preferred lifestyle
from their ideas about the cosmos and human nature.
According to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200
religions in the world.
• Many religions may have organized behaviors, clergy, a
definition of what constitutes adherence or membership,
holy places, and scriptures.
• The practice of a religion may also include: rituals
public service or
other aspects of human culture.
Religions may also contain mythology.
Importance of Religion in India
• Makes people more secure in life and death
• It also gives them something to look up to
• Something they believe in which they feel safe
• Influences in economics and politics
• Helps to know revealing truths about the world in
which we live
• It is effective and rewarding tool in the hands of
• It can be used to enrich oneself financially or
• It can also be used to manipulate and control others
for good or evil ends.
• It has been used as an effective political and
commercial tool as evidenced by the many historic
records of religious wars.
Definition of Politics
• The science of government; that part of ethics
which has to do with the regulation and
government of a nation or state, the
preservation of its safety, peace, and prosperity,
the defense of its existence and rights against
foreign control or conquest, the augmentation
of its strength and resources, and the
protection of its citizens in their rights, with the
preservation and improvement of their morals.
• Politics as a term is generally applied to the art or
science of running governmental or state affairs,
including behavior within civil governments, but also
applies to institutions, fields, and special interest
groups such as the corporate, academic, and religious
segments of society.
• It consists of "social relations involving authority or
power" and to the methods and tactics used to
formulate and apply policy.
• Modern political discourse focuses on democracy and
the relationship between people and politics. It is
thought of as the way we "choose government officials
and make decisions about public policy".
Importance of Politics in India
• To run the country more efficiently
• To manage the country with proper rules and norms
• To look in the internal affairs about the
development of the country
• To represent the country to the outside world
• To issue different policies for the country
Difference between Politics & Religion
How one should live life
Not changed since ages
Selfless & Violent
Lazy & Selfish
Real life processes of society to
Faith in supernatural things
Rules & regulations
Don’t use politics
Similarity between Religion & Politics
• Life worth living
• Death tolerable
• Talk about truth
• Near or Distinct future
• Promise the fulfillment of expectations
• Essences (intrinsic property)
• Lead violence
• Leaders use doctrines to justify actions & to cement
affiliates to their organization
• Ambiguous doctrines
• Creative & flexible interpretations
• Authority & Power
Religion and politics – Does religion
influence politics ???
• Politicians use religion as their loopholes
• They hide their black money in the names of
religion and trusts
• Politician use religion for their way to success
Which one affects more on people’s lives
• Politics affects more because
– All humans have to follow the norms
– Increasing corruption
– Multiple political parties
When religious leaders of the world are engaged
in preaching hate and intolerance against
other religious belief systems, then it is
obvious that people would question the
purpose of God. Some religious leaders
behave as though they are businessmen
competing in the market, advertising that
theirs is the only genuine and certified
product on the market.