4 Things you need to
Create an Online Shop
• internet access
• digital camera
• photo editing software
• paypal account
Creating a PayPal
• easy to set up
• free to create an account
• fees are charged once a sale is made
• 1.9 - 2.9% + $0.30 USD
What are my Options?
• etsy: www.etsy.com
• big cartel: www.bigcartel.com
• art fire: www.artfire.com
• shopify: www.shopify.com
• zibbet: www.zibbet.com
Etsy vs Big Cartel
• why would you choose one over another?
• what’s right for you?
Benefits of Etsy
• easy shop creation
• unlimited products
• up to 5 photos per product
• built in community and support
• basic stats available
• looking for a site with built in viewership
and a community of buyers & sellers?
• etsy is for you.
Benefits of Big Cartel• easy shop creation
• options for customization
• flat (per month) fee. no commission charge
• basic stats all the way up to advanced stats
& inventory tracking depending on the plan
• already established a viewership online,
through your website for example?
• big cartel is for you.
Aside from Price,What
are the Two most
Important Areas to
Focus on when Selling
your Work Online?
Top Two Areas to Focus
• product shots (photographs). this is number
one in my book.
• product description
A Note about Product
• this is your first sales pitch area.
• online shoppers cannot pick up your item
and hold it or examine the details as they
would at a real life store. so you must show
them what your work looks like in as great
detail as possible.
• if you don’t have the skills or equipment to
take quality photos, find someone who
Product Shot Tips
• take photos in natural light during the day
• don’t forget to make use of your photo
How to Make use of All
Five Product Photos
• cropped image of painting (just the image)
• zoomed out (shows piece as a whole)
• style / environmental shot (this will also
show the scale of the piece, ideally)
• show its compliment (add on to the sale)
• detail shot
• this is your second sales pitch area.
• again, online shoppers are not able to see
your work in person before they buy, so
the details really matter when it comes to
describing your work.
What to Include inYour
• title of work
• list dimensions and materials
• make it interesting!
• include a short story about each
piece if you have one (1-3 sentences)
• share your process (if it is unique)
A Few More Things
• creating policies
• setting prices
• make this section as clear and concise aspossible.
• how long will it take for an item to shipafter it sells?
• are returns or exchanges allowed? and if so,how many days does a customer have to doso?
• who pays for shipping with areturn or exchange?
• everyone has their own strategy for pricing,
so there is no right answer here.
• be consistent.
• if you want to price competitively, do your
• check out your competition
• and then make an informed
Start SellingYour Work
• create a paypal account
• decide what online venue is right for you
• take high quality photos of your work
• write interesting product descriptions
• set your prices and store policies
Resources of Note
• the handmade marketplace: how to sell
your crafts locally, globally, and online
• by kari chapin
• category: advice + tips as well as