A keypal project is like a traditional penpal
writing project but uses the medium of electronic
mail (e-mail) to enable learners from different
countries and cultures to communicate and
interact with others.
1. To enable to comunicate in a real and natural context.
2. Promote intercultural awareness
3. To enable to learn a skill that will be necessary in
the work place.
4. Learning of linguistic features of L2 electronic
5. The message received from native speakers is a model
of correct English.
6. To help shy learners to be more comunicative.
7. Teacher-learner intercation is improved resulting in
a more learner-centred classroom.
8. To enhance the quality of learner’s written work.
9. It also enhances study and reading skills and critical
10. They are highly motivating for learners.
GUIDELINES FOR SETTING UP
A KEYPAL PROJECT
1. Teachers should clarify their goals.
2. The e-mail project should be integrated in
to te course curriculum as a whole.
3. Don’t underestimate the complexity of
an e-mail project.
4. The teacher must supply support to the
learners if problems arise.
5. Learners must be involved in the
FINDING A KEYPAL GROUP
These are some useful websites were
you can find keypal groups :
The keypal project is
an interesting tool to
improve our learners
skills as well as an
experience for the
1. What is a keypal?
2. Can you name at least
two benefits of keypal
3. How would you apply this
in your classroom?
4. What do you think about