Practical Training taken at
220KV GSS PINDWARA
4th year, EE
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
POORNIMA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
ISI-6 RIICO INSTITUTIONAL AREA,
Mr. Vikash kr. Saini
Dept. Of Electrical Engg.
• Definition Of sub-Station
• Component Of sub-station
• Single Line Diagram Of Sub-station
• Lightning Arrestor
• Capacitor voltage Transformer
• Current Transformer
• Circuit Breaker
• Bus Bar
• Protective relay
• Control room
RVPNL is a company of Rajasthan State Electricity
Board(RSEB) established by government of Rajasthan. Aim of
RVPNL is to provide reliable transmission service to
customers. 220 KV G.S.S., Pindwara is a part of RVPNL.
It is established on 19 July 2000 by Govt. Of Rajasthan under
the Provision of Rajasthan Power Sector Reforms Act 1999 as
the successor company of RSEB.
Earlier this sub-station Pindwara was 132kv GSS Then in
2008 it become 220kv GSS with total capacity of 125MVA.
DEFINITION OF SUBSTATION
Sub-station is a subsidiary station of an electric generation
,transmission and distribution system where voltage is
transformed from high to low or low to high voltage using
transformers. Electric Power may flow through several sub-station
between generated plant and consumer and may be
changed in voltage in several steps.
COMPONENT OF SUBSTATION
1. Primary power lines
2. Ground wire
3. Overhead lines
4. Transformer for measurement of electric voltage
5. Disconnect switch
6. Circuit breaker
7. Current Transformer
8. Lightning arrester
9. Main Transformer
10. Control building
11. Security fence
12. Secondary power lines
• Lightning arrester is a protective
device which provides protection
against high voltage surges. A
lightning arrester has two terminals
viz a high voltage terminal and
a ground terminal.
CAPACITIVE VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER
• Capacitive voltage
transformers are special
kind of power
capacitors to step down
WAVE TRAP(LINE TRAP)
• A Line trap (high-frequency
stopper) is a maintenance-free
inductor, mounted inline on
voltage AC transmission pow
er lines to prevent the
transmission of high
frequency (40 kHz to
1000 kHz) carrier signals
of line communication to
POWER LINE CARRIER COMMUNICATION
• PLCC for exchange of data and transfer of messages between
substations, voice communication is necessary. For this
purpose high frequency carrier current is transmitted over
same transmission line on which power is transmitted. Hence
this communication is called as power line carrier
• It isolates the devices
from live line when there
is a maintenance. It
operates when there is no
load. It is also used to
change bus bar line from
main to reserve or vise
220 KV ISOLATOR
• C.T. is used to measure high
value of current. C.T.`s
secondary is connected to
relay to protect the system
• Circuit breaker Today, two
most popular Circuit breakers
are used in substation which
are: Vacuum Circuit breaker
& SF6 Circuit breaker. Oil
and Air blast Circuit breaker
was used in earlier decades.
• Bus Bars are common
electrical component through
which a large no. of feeders
operating at same voltage
have to be connected.
• It is nothing but arrangement of joining of two buses.
• It is use for load sharing purposes.
• The transformer is a static apparatus, which receives
power/energy at it, one circuit and transmits it to other circuit
without changing the frequency.
MAIN PART OF TRANSFORMER
• 1. Primary and secondary coils (circuit) or windings.
• 2. Core
• 3. Main Tank
• 4. Conservator
• 5. Breather
• 6. Radiator
• 7. Buchholz relay
• 8. Bushings (HT & LT) (Primary or secondary)
• 9. Cooling fans
• 10. Tap changer (on load and off load)
• 11. NGR (Neutral Grounding Resistance) to minimize the
earth fault current
To step-up or step-down the voltage and transfer power from one
a.c. voltage to another a.c. voltage at the same frequency.
• The capacitor bank provides reactive power at grid sub-station.
the voltage problem frequently reduce so of circulation
of reactive power.
• A protective relay is a device
that detects the fault and
initiates the operation of the
circuit breaker to isolator the
defective element from the
rest of the system.
• I studied lot of knowledge. In G.S.S. lot of instrumentation and
protection required. So I gain lot of knowledge.
• Training at 220kv GSS pindwara gives the insight of the real
instrument used.There are many instruments like Transformer,
• To get insight of the sub station ,how things operate,how
things manage all is learned there.