“Android is a software stack or
software development kit for
mobile devices that includes an
operating system, middleware and
• It's a consortium of 84 companies such as
Google, Samsung, AKM, Synaptics, KDDI,
Garmin, Teleca, Ebay, Intel etc.
• It was established on 5th November, 2007, led
by Google. It is committed to advance open
standards, provide services and deploy handsets
using the Android Platform.
• Initially, Andy Rubin founded Android Incorporation in
Palo Alto, California, United States in October, 2003.
• In August 17, 2005, Google acquired Android Inc. Since
then, it is in the subsidiary of Google Inc.
• Key employees of Android Inc. are Andy Rubin, Rich
Miner, Nick Sears and Chris White.
There are many advantages of android. They are as follows:
It is open-source.
Anyone can customize the Android Platform.
There are a lot of mobile applications that can be chosen by
• It provides many interesting features like weather details,
opening screen, live RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds
• It provides support for messaging services(SMS and MMS),
web browser, storage (SQLite), connectivity (GSM, CDMA,
Blue Tooth, Wi-Fi etc.), media, handset layout etc.
Android Virtual Device
• Android supports java, c++, c# etc. language to develop android
applications. Java is the officially supported language for android.
All the android examples of this site is developed using Java
language and Eclipse IDE.
• The simplest technique to install required softwares for android
application. It includes:
• Download the ADT from android site, you don't need to have eclipse
IDE, android SDK and eclipse Plug-in because it is already included
in adt bundle.
• The modern JVM is high performance and provides excellent
memory management. But it need to be optimized for low-powered
handheld devices. The Dalvik Virtual Machine is optimized for
mobile devices. It optimizes the JVM for memory, performance,
and battery life.
• The Dex compiler converts the class files into the .dex files that run
on the Dalvik VM.