RUTLEDGE TRANSLATION OF
Where do media &
WHAT I TEACH:
• Foundations of Media Psychology PSY533
• Brand Psychology & Transmedia Storytelling
• Applied storytelling, meaning construction and narrative
• Audience Engagement (MSC568)*
• Using motivation and needs theory to construct audience
personas for messages that resonate
• Positive Psychology (PSY777)*
• Use and development of media to support human growth and
*Co-lead on two concentrations: 1) Brand Psych & 2) Positive Psychology
As anAdvisor/Faculty Mentor
1. Check in about course selection
2. Brain storming about general interests and
classes/projects to meet goals
3. Support research
5. Course feedback
6. Research Practicum
7. Media Practicum
8. Chair, Reader & Methodologist (sp. Qualitative)
WORKING WITH STUDENTS
QEs & Dissertations
My Process: Interactive Support
1. Funnel Approach (QE)
1. General area of interest
2. Explore related research; get familiar with the voices
1. Continue to brainstorm and focus area of research
2. Develop prototype questions and test:
1. Are they answerable?
2. Are they feasible?
3. Is there a so what?
4. Who else has looked at similar questions and how did they do it?
3. RQ (may not be final), general methodological approach and rationale
4. Develop structure, identify gaps for full proposal, bring in 2nd reader
1. Identify actual question, integrate methodologist to hone “recipe” and IRB process
2. Confirm structure and content, send to committee
Dissertations in Process
§ Transmedia Storytelling Structure
1. Are there distinct structures in transmedia storytelling that facilitate intratextual
§ Brand Narratives in Consumer Products
1. How do narratives of loved products influence self-narratives
2. How do brand narratives inform the online Sneaker Culture
§ Entertainment Narratives & Self
1. How do entertainment experiences, such as Hamilton, influence perceptions of nationalism
and belonging among diverse audiences?
2. How do African American actors in realityTV influence African Americans’ understanding of
1. How does social media facilitate the grieving process?
1. Does sharing meaning moments on Instagram increase savoring and well being?
§ What are the benefits of media psychology?
§ How do beliefs, biases and assumptions influence research?
§ How does a networked world influence our understanding of
others and ourselves?
§ How do media and technology impact cultures, socioeconomic
status, and geography?
§ How do different theories of human behavior inform our
§ How can media be used effectively and sensitively to achieve
socially constructive goals?
Data: Twitter 1722 no RT, Facebook 36,913, Instagram 566 [data from Operam] and
YouTube.893 [data from Netlytic]. Time period 1/19/2018-1/21/2018.
Comparison Movie: I Feel Pretty. Twitter 2744 no RT; Facebook 73,368 Time period:
director, cast, history,
Cognitive acknowledgement: Sequel is
finally here. Dream come true.Emotional engagment:
So excited it’s coming.
Reminisce old movie
Recall and recycle old jokes:
Meow, liter of cola, Maple syrup,
etc. Express desire to
see; make plans
Pathway to affiliation &
• Progression amplified by
reminiscences, esp. jokes
• Sharing in-jokes is a way of signaling
fandom and creating affiliation
• Recall triggers the earlier emotional
attachment, consciously and
• This is common in cult films as jokes
become catch phrases re friends.
Humor and the
§ Humor both cognitive and emotional
§ Triggers dopaminergic reward center
§ Jokes start with a violation
§ Our brains are hardwired to notice
violations as part of our survival system.
§ Not all violations are funny
§ Too scary or real = not funny
§ Benign = funny
§ Too benign = boring
§ Benign = personal relevance,
distance, change in interpretation
§ Evolution = humor signals safety
(play vs. attack) and well-being
HOW PLATFORMS AND
MEDIA FORMAT MATTER
Every platform has a personality that can be
mapped onto the psychological dynamics of
users needs goals and expectations.
Expectations include content type and use
ZONE OF INFLUENCE
Conceptualizing consumer behavior,
needs and goals as a range or zone
rather than a specific use allows for
the inclusion of use expectations
moderated by context, such as
temporal factors (time of day, fatigue,
etc.), competing opportunities, social
influence and personality.
Media type influenced the count and
emotional expression of audience
responses. Anticipation and affection
Dr. Pamela Rutledge