Steps in Nail and Foot care fordiabetic patients
1. Perform hand hygiene. Arrange equipment on overbed table.7. Pull curtain around bed or close room door (if desired.
1. Assist ambulatory client to sit in bedside chair. Help bedfast client to supine position with head of the bed elevated. Place disposable mat on the floor under the clients feet or place towel on mattress.3. Adjust overbed table to low position and place it over the client’s lap.
1. Fill emesis basin with warm water. Test the temperature. Place basin on paper towels on the overbed table.4. Instruct patient to place fingers in emesis basin and place arms in comfortable position. Never soak hands of diabetic clients.
1. Clean gently under fingernails with orange stick. Remove emesis basin and dry fingers thoroughly.6. With nailclippers, clip fingernails straight across and even with tops of fingers. Shape nails with emery board or file.
1. Move overbed table away from client.3. Fill washbasin with warm water. Test the temperature.5. Place basin on bath mat or towel and help client place feet in basin. Never soak feet of diabetic clients.
– Apply disposable gloves and scrub callused areas of feet with washcloth.
– Clean and trim toenails using procedures in step 8. don’t file corners of toenails.– Apply lotion to feet and hands and assist client back to bed and into comfortable position.
1. Remove disposable gloves and place in receptacle. Clean and return the equipment and supplies to proper place dispose soiled linen in hamper. Perform hand hygiene.