Great expectations: the professor, the scholar and the library - for Art Plenary (2010)
the professor, the scholar
& the library
Director of Scholes Library
You are freshmen..
you are “digital natives”..
Your professors & the library
are working to understand
what you expect
& the way you
I believe that Professors and Students
sometimes have different
we try to meet them all..
but sometimes they conflict..
i thought id talk about that..
and see if the library can help.
Challenge for Library:
align different preferences/expectations
When it Comes to Research - Students and Faculty may:
• see different values in the research process
• trust/understand quality of resources differently (ie. paper vs digital)
• value “authority” & “attribution” differently (citation hassles)
• different comfort & preferences with technology
• value traditional library organization & service differently
• have different notions of what is "scholarship”
• different values on the library as a "place"
• may learn differently (ie. multi-modal)
• adopt/expect change at different rates
• work in different ways/speeds
• communicate differently on paper