Flagler college replaces microsoft SCOM with opmanager to manage 3300 interfaces
Brendan J. Hourihan
Director of Network and Desktop Support Services
Flagler College, FL, USA
About Flagler College
• A private college located in St.
Augustine, Florida with about
2,500 students and 450 faculties.
• Offers professional programs in
selected studies emphasizing
liberal arts, education and
• The college has been named as one
of the southeast region's best
comprehensive liberal arts
• And also included in the list of
"America's Best Colleges"
To monitor system resources such as CPU,
Disk, and Memory utilization on virtual
servers and send alerts based on configured
To know exactly how the network bandwidth
is being utilized.
To ensure high availability across the network
so that all the devices, services are up and
running 24*7 continuously.
To proactive monitor all the files/ folders
placed on the college-owned computer or
To periodically check the intranet or internet
websites to ensure they are reachable and
serving the pages within the expected time
Challenges faced by Brendan & his team
before using OpManager
Before switching to OpManager, they used 3 instances of Microsoft
SCOM to manage 3300 interfaces and to share the network load
As an effect of using multiple instances to monitor the
network infrastructure, the IT team spent more time
• Installation and Deployment
• Ongoing maintenance
• Navigating to the root cause of
network performance issues
• Extracting performance reports
This time consumption made situation worse during critical IT
So Brendan and his team were desperately looking for an unified
network management console that will make their life easy.
After evaluating few network monitoring tools, they finally choose
How did ManageEngine OpManager fulfill their
• Single, centralized, and easy-to-use network management
• Can be installed within minutes and starts monitoring the network instantly
• Customizable performance dashboards to view the overall IT performance
• Real time graphs for performance Monitors (CPU, Memory, Disk & etc.)/
Traffic and Bandwidth Utilization
• Color-coded Alarms & Intelligent Event-Alarm Correlation
• Email / SMS based notifications
• Includes powerful networking tools like MIB Browser, Ping, Traceroute etc.
• Over 100+ Network performance Reports
Now Brendan uses just one OpManager console to
manage his 3300 interfaces
• OpManager monitors servers, services and applications across multiple
• Over 300 performance metrics including CPU utilization, partition-wise
disk space and memory utilization
• Monitors VMware, Hyper-V and Xen
• Resolves server performance problems instantly.
Flow–based network traffic analysis
• OpManager monitors how exactly network bandwidth is being utilized
• Prioritizes and classify applications that hog the network bandwidth
• Provides real-time insight into the network bandwidth with granularity
Network Availability Monitoring
• OpManager offers comprehensive network uptime monitoring to ensure that
all your network devices, services are up and running 24*7 continuously.
• Provides real–time availability statistics, as well as detailed monitoring and
analysis of network, servers and any other business critical applications.
Network Files and Folders Monitoring
OpManager provides file and folder monitoring functionality that lets IT team
monitor the presence of network files/folders, changes made to the
files/folders, their sizes and age.
OpManager offers 24*7 monitoring of websites for availability and performance
that helps to identify website problems, keep track of the web server farms etc.
before they escalate into substantial downtime and lost revenue.