41. A generic definition
Open design is a project published with a license that
facilitates its sharing and that can be “compiled” or
Open Design refers to every kind of design projects that
can be shared in a digital format over a network.
42. Open Design Manifesto (Ronen Kadushin)
Open Design method consists of two preconditions:
1. An Open Design is CAD information published online under
a Creative Commons license to be downloaded, produced,
copied and modifed.
2. An Open Design product is produced directly from fle by
CNC machines and without special tooling.
43. Open Design (Wikipedia)
Open design is the development of physical products,
machines and systems through use of publicly shared design
information. The process is generally facilitated by the Internet
and often performed without monetary compensation. The
goals and philosophy are identical to that of the open source
movement, but are implemented for the development of
physical products rather than software.
44. Open Hardware Definition 1.0
Open Source Hardware (OSHW) is a term for tangible artifacts --
machines, devices, or other physical things -- whose design has been
released to the public in such a way that anyone can make, modify,
distribute, and use those things. This defnition is intended to help
provide guidelines for the development and evaluation of licenses
for Open Source Hardware.
Hardware is different from software in that physical resources must
always be committed for the creation of physical goods.
46. Open Hardware Definition 1.0
Under U.S. law, and law in many other places, copyright does not
apply to electronic designs. Patents do. The result is that an Open
Hardware license can in general be used to restrict the plans but not
the manufactured devices or even restatements of the same design
that are not textual copies of the original.
51. What about doing it together?
Open Knowledge Foundation:
● Mailing list / wiki / website
● overview of the defnition and of its quality
Aalto Media Factory:
● facilitation of the discussion
● research & content
● online / offline events
… and you of course! :-)
53. Any projects about Open Design?
● For improving Open Design
● For improving Open Design in Helsinki / Finland
A defnition of Open Design could be a project, for example! :-)
● Camp Pixelache in May 2012 (Open Design section)
● Open Knowledge Festival, 17-22 September 2012