What is Kubernetes?
• is a portable, extensible open-source
platform for orchestrate containerized
workloads and services.
• is developed by google.
• facilitates both declarative
configuration and automation.
• has a large, rapidly growing ecosystem.
• services, support, and tools are widely
What Makes Kubernetes Unique?
• Modular and well-abstracted API
• Based on 10+ years experience
running containers at Google
• Decentralized approach to shared
services (Pod model)
• Support of a large company
Kubernetes is Hard
•0 out of every 10 people
claim Kubernetes is easy.
•Since we launched Rancher;
the vast majority (75% + )
choose our native scheduler
and user experience.
•Kubernetes most powerful
features are also its greatest
Common Kubernetes Challenges in the Enterprise
•Networking – how do you understand your security/access model?
•Deployment Consistency – so many ways to deploy, how do you know its done
•Access Control / Enterprise Identity integration – how do I keep authentication
•Security policy – how do I ensure image scanning / runtime scanning is enforced?
•Chargeback – how do I appropriate usage of shared resources to the right team?
•Platform monitoring – how do I make sure my k8s platform is meeting its SLA?
How do we Solve this Problem?
•Better training and education
•Making Kubernetes more
•Cloning Kelsey Hightower
Improving the Lives of K8s Users One Commit at aTime
•The team at Rancher has asked
themselves “What if we could make the
user experience as intuitive and simple
as Docker, while still harnessing the
power of Kubernetes?”
•Additionally,“How do we address the
unique requirements of the enterprise
without sacrificing the freedom and
openness of the cloud native world?”
Enterprise Kubernetes Made Easy
•is an enterprise container management platform that makes it easy for
organizations to adopt Kubernetes.
•IT organizations can deploy, manage and secure any Kubernetes deployment
regardless of where it is running.
•is intuitive to use, and built to support DevOps teams, as they use containers
to automate operations and move to continuous delivery.
•is used by more than 5,000 organizations to unlock the value of containers and
Kubernetes, including industry leaders like Sony, Disney, Fidelity, Aviva, Cisco,
We understand the enterprise requirements
Supported Distribution of Kubernetes
Centralized Policy/Security Management
Workload Management DevOps will use
Rancher Labs Mission
•The most complete
•A simplified Linux
from containers, for
•Open source project
•We want to enable organizations of all sizes to use containers effectively, on any platform
or infra provider.
•We believe in open source as the best way to get there, giving users freedom to use/
modify/contribute to the solution.
•We think vegetarians are awesome despite our association with meat products
Enterprise Container Management Platform built on
Container ManagementDevelopment Pipelines
Ops & Monitoring
What Rancher Adds to Kubernetes
Cluster Operations and Management
• Install and manage Kubernetes clusters on VMware, bare
metal, or any infrastructure
• Provision GKE, AKS, EKS clusters
• Centralized Security Policy Management
• Cluster Capacity Management
• Centralized Authentication and RBAC policy
• Integration with Active Directory, SAML and LDAP
• Workload UI and Projects
• Private Application Catalogs
• Integrated Monitoring with Prometheus
• Integrated CI/CD pipelines
• Integrated Log Aggregation
• Integrated ELK
• Complete Stack Support and Root Cause Analysis
Efficiency – simple to set up and has an easy to use yet powerful user interface for managing both applications and
Complete – includes everything you need to deploy, run and manage containers in production
No vendor lock-in – includes a rich set of container orchestration capabilities as well as distributions of multiple
commercially available container technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, Mesos) while maintaining a single management
Infrastructure agnostic – does not limit users to any specific infrastructure, whether on premises or in the cloud
Portable infrastructure services - infrastructure services management and the overlay networking, storage and load
balancing capabilities provide the basis for portability across infrastructure providers and dramatically shorten the time to
Fully open source – unlike Docker Data Center and Tectonic, Rancher is a fully open source management platform
Boundless networking – unlike any other container management platform, implements networking that can cross
datacenter or cloud boundaries
Rancher supports the entire container platform
Root Cause Analysis across all issues
Cluster Operations and Management
• Includes support and fixes for Rancher software, including all embedded services such as
Prometheus, Vault, Elasticsearch, Kibana, etcd, and any others.
• Ensure proper integration with supported cloud providers, including GKE, AKS, and EKS
• Ensure Rancher Kubernetes Engine (RKE) supports the latest stable release of Kubernetes
• Fix any issues in the Kubernetes code-base installed by RKE
• Upstream fixes when necessary for Kubernetes installed by RKE
• Ensure upgrade of Kubernetes between versions, across any supported Kubernetes cluster
• Ensure RKE works with Docker shipped in RHEL, Ubuntu and RancherOS
• For open-source Ubuntu and CentOS, Rancher will embed and support a Docker Daemon.
Rancher consulting engagements
Application Architecture, CI/CD and Ops
Application Architecture Best Practices Guide
Workshop to develop a set of best practices around
containerizing applications, focused on application
architecture, security, and resiliency.
CI/CD workflow and architecture
Design workshop for developing a complete CI/CD
workflow design, including automating build, test,
deployment, upgrades, and all necessary integrations.
Application Operations Best Practices Guide
Workshop to develop an operations guide for teams
running workloads on the container platform, focused
on resiliency, monitoring, logging, release
management, service delivery, secret management,
Platform Architecture, Ops and Security
Deployment Architecture Development
Design workshop for defining a complete architecture
for the container platform, deployment models,
infrastructure options, storage, networking, and high
Operations Best Practices Workshop
Develop an Best Practices Guide for operating the
platform, with a focus on testing, lifecycle management,
Security Model Development
Developing a Container Security Model focusing on,
authentication, RBAC, OS security, pod security,
network security, logging, audit, image security, secret
management, and policy management.